71 Duster Wheels

-

71Dusterdaily

Reaction score
Im looking to get rid of my stock steelies on the Duster and go with some rallyes. The wheels I'm looking at at 15x7 with 4.25" of backspacing for the front, and 15x8 with 4.50" of backspacing. I just wanted to double check fitment with the forums before I pull the trigger and have wheels that potentially don't fit. Thanks guys!

Exactly what i've got on my 1971
IMG_1588.JPG

P25560R15 And P22560R15. I could have use P27560R15 in the back, next time...
Caution because Ma Chrysler was sloppy on their side to side centering measurements back in the 70's some measurements are close while some are way off, making it that 275's will often fit on one side but not on the other. If you get lucky to fit 275s on both sides, they will still be close...usually unless you move your springs inside (kit).

I am surprised you didn't run into problems hitting the leaf springs with a 4 1/2 backspace. I sure did with a 275 and a 255 , and this was on both sides , not just one side. Is your car small bolt or big bolt ?? Mine are 15 x 8 steel wheels ( small bolt ) with a 4 1/2 backspace on a 70 Duster ( with a small bolt 8 3/4)

By the way .......Very nice Duster , I like the not trim ring look...

Frank

I am surprised you didn't run into problems hitting the leaf springs with a 4 1/2 backspace. I sure did with a 275 and a 255 , and this was on both sides , not just one side. Is your car small bolt or big bolt ?? Mine are 15 x 8 steel wheels ( small bolt ) with a 4 1/2 backspace on a 70 Duster ( with a small bolt 8 3/4)

Frank

BBP axles and brakes add over a 1/4" to the track width on each side. I've seen BBP a-body 8 3/4's using 8" wide rims with as much as 5" of backspace and no issues. On my '71 with an A-body 8 3/4 and BBP axles I've got 6" from the hub face to the spring, so, a 5" backspace would be a piece of cake, the tire could be another 5/8" wider than that at the section width.

That said, I'm surprised you still had issue with the 255's, even SBP 8 3/4's shouldn't have an issue with 15x8's, 4.5" of backspace and 255's. Lots of folks running 255's on that combo.

I guess some of the backspace differences would be in how wide the BB brakes are , if I remember right there are a coupe of widths , maybe 2 and 2 1/2 wide. I will have to check and see how wide the brakes are on my small bolt rear end. I think the small bolt brakes are 1 3/4 wide.

10" BBP brakes are 2.5" wide, the SBP brakes are 1.75". But there are also differences in the axle flange offset from the housing and the backing plate offsets as well, which is why the change in track width per side is between a 1/4" and 5/16". Overall the SBP 8 3/4" is 57 1/8" drum to drum, a BBP a body 8 3/4" is about 57 13/16".

I had 15x7 SBP 4.250 backspace rallyes on the front of my '72 Scamp. Had a clearance issue with the inside lip of the rim rubbing the UCA. Same thing happened on my '64 Valiant with 14x7 rallyes with same backspace. Only happened on the right side during hard right turns or on a cloverleaf under acceleration. I ran a thin 1/8" spacer for a while. Finally went with a 6" wide rallyes on the front of both cars. Just my experience......................

Frank
"BBP", Dr Diff axles

-
Back