71 scamp build, need direction

-

cali_scamp

Reaction score
Just picked up a 1971 Scamp 225.

What I would like to accomplish:

Extremely well handling (planning on the Hotchkis TVS with 18 inch wheels)
Mildy quick 225 while still retaining decent mpg
Possibly disc up front or all the way around

I am pretty sure the 225 models came with the small bolt pattern and the 7.25 rear. Looks like I need to think the brakes through before I get wheels, right? I would like to avoid spacers.

Will disc change my bolt pattern size and wheel spacing if i buy a kit?
Is the 7.25 rear ok for an enhanced 225?
Will the 7.25 accommodate rear disc or do I need to go to a different rear end?

Thanks!

First figure out which bolt pattern you want (I'd go 5x4.5, much much bigger wheel selection). If you go with the BBP, just swap out and junk the 7.25 rear, and get either the 8.25 (it will have BBP already) or the 8.75 rear (you'll need to either order new axles or if you get a B-Body 8.75 from 68-70 you just need to move the spring mounts in 1/2" each side). That said just look under the car and confirm which rear you already have before buy anything because someone might changed it already. One advantage that the 8.25 has over the 8.75 rear is if you go hit the junkyard and hunt down a 96 and older jeep grand Cherokee you can pull the suregrip (limited slip diff), gears, and rear disc brakes and bolt it up to your A body 8.25 rearend no problems!
If you search this site you'll find that you can EFI the slant with common junkyard car parts.

Thanks for the advice 1970Duster. I think I'll go the 8.25 route. So the only mod I will have to do is driveshaft length? Also, I found out the Hotchkis suspension kit requires 3" axle tubes so the 7.25 would have been a no go, does the 8.25 have a 3" axle tube?

Yes. It has the same size tubes as an 8.75 rear. If your trying to do more then one thing with the car, you might want get the 8.75 to be able to change gear ratios in about an hour if you screw around and 30 minutes if your on the ball.

Pretty ambitious. I suggest you do a lot of reading first. Many posts here on disk brake conversions, BBP changes, and wheels. You can now get nice 17" SBP wheels fairly affordable (see posts), which would clear any disk brakes. People claim it is simple to change to BBP front and change the rear, cut the driveshaft, ..., but they have much experience and you sound like a newbie. Don't start something that will leave your frustrated and stranded. You can get front disk kits that bolt up to your existing drum spindles.

Re engine, what does "mildly fast" mean? The 225 can be great for low-end torque, like leaving a stop sign sharply, which is what most people notice when driving. High horsepower comes from an engine screaming at 5000 rpm. You would look like an idiot driving around like that in 1st gear, so don't fixate on horsepower. That is why most V-8's came with 2 bbl carburetors.

-
Back