71 water pump on 69 block

-

71Demon

Reaction score
Any cooling issues with using later model 70-72 water pump on a 69 340 motor? Wanting to do the billet specialties front drive system and doesn't work on earlier short water pump engines from what I see.

No issues. the recessed flat face of the tcover is the same for both early/late. Might get the 8 blade (non AC) pump (price should be the same or close) and that'd be an excellent time to weld on an anticav plate. You'd wanna check clearance from the added plate to the tcover recessed flat & want .040 (at least) (040 is perfect/cant have less as it might contact/more reduces vane efficiency), keeping in mind gasket thickness but most setups will have way more than that but it (like everything) always needs checking. this'll vastly improve the pump efficiency. EDIT later pump is thicker so might need longer bolts for the proper engagement & as you know you want proper pulley spacing

A buddy of mine used a early pump on a late timing cover and it was nearly impossible to see the timing marks cause the pump inlet nearly covered the timing marks. I know that's bass ackwards of yours but you may run into a similar problem using the late pump on the early cover. Just something to check

Use the proper timing chain cover for the aluminum pump or the timing marks will be blocked.

What are you going to do about the lower radiator outlet on the other side?

You will be able to see the marks (just barely tho) but enough to time it (& some paint marks on the dampener in addition to the "slit" and a round dab of paint on the tab "zero" helps with this & you gotta aim the light just right. I added paint marks for (10 (15) and (20) but admittedly next time in that same situation I will add a pointer on the side that the dampener slit is on at TDC if I have to mix/match pump and cover to match the rad outlet

Had the same issue with the timing marks; see first pix. No way this will be 'barely visible' with the lower rad hose and fuel pump in place! Besides, the new Professonal Products damper TDC mark was on the other side now.

Made a timing tab on the other side; the black marks are paint in filed slots at 10 degrees apart. I made it a bit long (might cut and re-weld it shorter); we'll put a tape on the damper. The flat of the point butts hard and flat up against the side of the timing cover to keep it stable.

Attachments

• DSCN1758.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN1756.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 178
And, just in case you don't already know this; the hi-flo pumps with 8 vanes and anti-cav plates already installed,are available at jobbers near you.
In regards to cooing passages, the LA blocks, from what I have seen(67 to 75), are all pretty much the same.

early pump/late tcover the marks are barely visible ('83 318/iron pump in my 65 dart) but evidently not the other way & the pic would confirm that with both of em on the pass side that they are definitely hidden

Probably going to replace the radiator with an aftermarket one that works on 70 and up to deal with the reversed lower hose issue. Has anyone tried to adapt the billet specialties front runner to the 69 340 with the short water pump. Thinking it may just be a spacer fix to bring it out to the 70 position.

-
Back