72 318 with 360 heads, marks in pistons

-

dartgtcharger

Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding a 76 318 mild street motor for my 65 dodge dart. Saw on craigslist a 72 318, 360 heads,holly street dominator intake with matching valvecovers and a stock 904 trans in a 2wd dodge truck.$300 running. Really wanted the big valve heads and expensive intake so he delivered it to me. Here is the catch(found out after he left) low oil pressure(20psi)when hot.took heads and intake off to inspect. Looks like heads just worked on but the pistons appear to have valve marks in them like they were hit.valves and springs in the heads look new. What would have caused this and would it affect oil pressure? Thanx in advance.

over revving engine and floating the valves...also slop in the timing chain can cause that too.

oil pressure is in the main and rod bearing arena...or worn out oil pump...

A picture would be good if you can.

Also, a worn out oil pump is an easy fix/replacement when the engine is out of the bay. A little tuff while in the car. A pump replacement that still shows dead oil pressure means the engine is worn out.

If it out then plastigauge your bearings since this will give you a chance to inpspect them for wear also. Check ring gaps and overall condition. A gasket set is cheap and so is a replacement oil pump.

-
Back