72 340 4 Speed Motor - What's it Worth

-

mcodecuda

Reaction score
Going to look at a 72 340 4 speed motor but I have no idea what it might be worth. It's has a steel crank because it was out of a 4 speed car. It comes with a set of 3418915 small valve heads but the seller also has a set of 71 3418915 heads with the 2.02 intake valve. Motor is missing the carb, exhaust manifolds and waterpump and comes with a Edelbrock Performer intake. It's a standard bore block but it will need to be bored and heads will also need a rebuild.

4 speed engine doesn't necessarily mean it's a forged crank. Check the balancer, and build date. I believe they switched to cast in April '72. My '72 engine is steel crank, but has an early build date. I gave $1000 for my builder motor, if that helps any. Also, the performer intake, has the small ports.

I gave $1000.00 for mine and it came with a good 727 transmission, the motor was complete (Alt,P/S,W/P and even trans lines) and I got to drive the car before the motor was pulled out.....Gary

I have one with a June 1972 cast date that has a forged crank in it. Hard to tell unless it's torn down so you can look at it. Mine is .030" over and was said to run good, but when I pulled one of the X heads, there is side to side slop in a couple of the bores. The exhaust valves show some carbon build up on those same cylinders.

Might just build a 360 for it.

If it's a cast crank it will have a different weighted dampner, (not a flat one like a forged crank version) if it's stock.

-
Back