72 340 choke style

-
Reaction score
So my 73 Scamp has a 72 340, with an edelbrock 2176 intake. I have a stock thermoquad I’m going to install but I need a stock choke. All the reference I find shows the style with the bathtub and gasket, but both my aftermarket Edelbrock and my 72 factory cast iron 340 intake have the open well. I need the correct factory choke that works with this well and a stock TQ.

33994235-F89E-47C3-BC6D-9F0FC6A88D96.jpeg

Rock Auto is where I found mine. But about 5 years ago. They have electric assist along with the thermostatic coil.
It has a plate on the side for the open well. I also found they had the same without the electric assist.There is also a resistor that mounts to the manifold before that connects to the coil plug.
Maybe they are still available.

Rock Auto is where I found mine. But about 5 years ago. They have electric assist along with the thermostatic coil.
It has a plate on the side for the open well. I also found they had the same without the electric assist.There is also a resistor that mounts to the manifold before that connects to the coil plug.
Maybe they are still available.
What car did you order it for? Looking up a 72 Duster with a 340 yields no choke options.

Look for a Dodge Diplomat 318 or 360 in the late 70's- 1980's vintage. OR a Ram truck.You may have to put in different years to find what you are looking for. I was converting a 88 Ram that had a Quadrajet carb. 1985 Chrysler started using them as Carter went out of business.I also had to change the manifold as the Quadrajet used a electric choke,no well.
Searching may take awhile but you will find it.
The one I bought the one without a electrical connection. I may have the part # if you are ok with a day's wait.
I have to go to my shop to find it.

That intake is a 73 intake. The 71-72 340 intake both used the open well with the cup and gasket-a nicer looking choke in my opinion. Then in 73-like your intake used a choke without electric assist, then 74 went with same choke type with the electric assist. All of these chokes are available on Ebay, many as NOS Mopar. Just type in Thermoquad chokes and look for the one that doesn't have a wire on it. There are many that are available.

They are available on Ebay. Some NOS Carter out of box for 26.95 and free shipping. Auction number 184924879113. And NOS Carter in the Carter box for 69.95 and free shipping. Auction number 181950832813. Both part numbers 170-1409

This is what I got from Rock Auto= GP Sorensen,#779-682
Non electric choke thermostat 1972-1984. Hope this helps.

-
Back