72 340

-
The .509/292 is too big on a 340. Been there done that pulled it back out. This was on a "real" 10.5 compression '69 340. Good pistons rods ect ect. I think its the short 3.31 stroke. I just remember that when that happened I learned that bigger isn't better. Good luck.

I have a 72 Duster with 340 engine, I rebuilt the engine with a Hughes cam, remember the cam,springs and lifters are an assembly and should be changed as such. I used the standard flat top pistons with a 30 0ver bore and moly rings. the engine idles smoth and drives nicely until the loud pedal commands action. I love the hughes cams. I would never use a mopar cam. thats 1970s tech and does not work well with todays fuel. If you want a lumpy idle and no performance below 3000RPM and terrible gas mileage stick that sucker in the car it might survive through the break in run.

I don't think that's a fair assessment of the Mopar cams. I've used a bunch of them over the years and several of them more than once (in different engines not because they wiped a lobe or anything) and they have performed well for me. Granted there are other newer grinds available that would be a little better but if you already have that cam I wouldn't throw it away. If we are talking a street/strip car or even a bracket racer it's not worth the money to me as the gains would be small anyway.

The real money should be spent on the chassis anyway, all the power in the world is useless if you can't hook it up, this is where the biggest ET gains are going to be made. Unless you just want to enter burnout contests of course or race chassis dynos.

-
Back