72 489 case axle removal help!

-

SgtLee511

Reaction score
I cant get the axle out of 8.75 unit, it may have rusted since the other side was missing an axle. Question is, I removed axle outside cover nuts, the bell housing cover wont come loose, I know that some assemblies have a large adjuster nut on them, do i need to pry this cover back. We tried to pull this axle, by placing the rearend chain down and exerting pressure with a winch, pulling on the axle it did not move. I also loosend the nuts on the pumpkin to give it some freedom of movement and nothing.

so with the pumpkin loose and you pull on the axle does the pumpkin move ?

Its really just a dust shield that holds the bearing in, and as far I can tell the axle is stuck into the third member, I tried a 8000 winch,stopped that when my winch started prying loose from the trailer, I tried using rear drum to slide hammer it, tried a 10 lb hammer on a drum attached to axle striking it over and over, im just #@%*ed, I guess

Maybe a longer axle (B-body?) stuffed in the other side and tapped may loosen it up? You would need to exceed the length by the size of the thrust buttons, presuming they are not in there.

'72 does not have the adjuster on the right axle. The adjuster comes out with the axle and it would not stop the axle from being pulled out anyways.

If you have removed the 5 nuts that hold the bearing retainer "hat", there is nothing else that holds the axles in the housing. The hat should easily come off. Yes you might need to pry it because the gaskets tend to get cooked on. The bearing is probably rusted to the housing. If a real big slide hammer doesn't work, you could try heating the axle housing. Just trying to pull the axle out probably won't work, you need the shock of the slide hammer to break the rust's grip.

I would not loosen the nuts holding the pumpkin in the housing. This is going to bind things up worse, IMHO.

Not sure what else to suggest. Good luck!

A piece of bar stock (steel rod) slightly smaller then the axle, but long enough to stick out of the opposite side, and a BFH!

If the 5 nuts are removed, you can put a piece of wood on the backing plate and hit it. Of course make sure you're hitting the backing plate and not the flange of the housing, and alternate sides so it doesn't get cocked.

Pleeeeeeease do NOT put something in there and start beating the s*#t out of it.
If it is an open , 2 pinion(cone)suregrip,or 4 pinion(plate)suregrip,the thrust transfer
button would have to be in there.Otherwise you're just beating the crap out of the
spider shaft doing who knows what to it and the carrier.Even with the thrust button in
there, it will only let you "drive" the axle so far B4 butting up against said shaft.
Can you not see down in there?If corrosion is the only culprit,put the thing up on
end and fill the damn thing with something to dissolve it.A molasses bath solution
would be cheap and will turn the rust into a gray sludge,leave it for the week and
check it come the weekend.
A friend had the shortened C-body axles from moser in his '67 GT,which had a 340
and 4spd.,AND an old pair of cheater slicks.The non-rehardened ends twisted at the
side gear/SG clutch interface,shearing off the dr. side completely,unfortunately only
twisting the pass. side.With the splines in the gear mis-aligned with the clutch spline
it was impossible to pull out,using a slide hammer flange adapter and a 30lb. bar-
bell plate,the two of us managed to scoot the car AND stands about a foot B4 we
decided it wasn't happenin'.Well, you can guess it was time for the gas wrench,
cut a window in the back of the housing right behind the carrier brg.,then cut the
axle shaft in half. Good times,:wack:,needless to say I only recommend that
axle swap for street tired automatic's after that. Good Luck!:coffee2:

I have to admit it, I did not want to put a steel rod down thru the gears, but it worked. I probably wouldnt do it again, cuz i probably wont pick up another unit out in the weather missing a axle, but axle out after 5 or 6 solid strikes. Gears look good, but now I need to follow up with that molassis bath.... Thanks all

-
Back