72 dart custom, No turn signals or rear lights?

-

awines

Reaction score
Just purchased a 72 Dart custom and when i looked at it all of the lights were working, now that i have it home i noticed the turn signals arent working. So i checked out all the lights and i also dont have rear lights at all anymore. No brake lights or rear running lights or rear marker lights. Wireing harness looks perfect in the trunk as well as all bulbs. Just wondering if there are any usual switches that go out before i start tracing all of the wires...:(

Check all your grounds. Check the connector for the rear of the car, check the tutnsignal switch connector but that should affect the side markers.

Not sure if those lights are on their own circuit, but bad fuse perhaps? Plus all the stuff Abodyjoe suggested. The fact that they worked before would indicate something came loosen/let go.

fuses are golden, guy that had the car before me had a cd player in the car that he removed and very nicely left exposed wires, ive cleaned that up already but im thinking that might have caused the lighting issue.

The rear harness plugs into the dash harness behind the drivers kick panel. Maybe the plugs was pulled loose? That's a good place to do some testing also. Otherwise, you'll just have to trace the circuit from where you DO have power.

Checked plugs on drivers side and everythings good. But on the steering column near the pedals there is a switch on the brake pedal that looks bent in and isn't touched by the pedal, and there are two wires that aren't connected right behind the switch and there's nothing plugged into the switch.

I have pictures of everything but don't know how to post via phone. Also have pics of the harness in. Trunk and ground in trunk. Everything looks new and un-corrosive

Checked plugs on drivers side and everythings good. But on the steering column near the pedals there is a switch on the brake pedal that looks bent in and isn't touched by the pedal, and there are two wires that aren't connected right behind the switch and there's nothing plugged into the switch.

thats your brake light switch...

Brake light switch needs to be connected & probably readjusted.

Turn, running, brake, lights and four way flashers all run through turn signal switch located in steering wheel. Often this switch becomes sloppy from old age & use, and causes problems with above listed lights. One can sometimes test for bad connections in it by gently pull turn signal switch back in direction of steering wheel, and observing if any of the lights begin to work.

The aftermarket radio removal probably disturbed some bad workmanship from when it was hacked in… Ooops, did I say hacked? I mean installed. You will have to probe around under the dash and locate all the bad splices, poor tape jobs, and fix the mess.

Headlights switch replaced and got my left side running lights working and replaced all rear pigtails. No luck for rear lights of right side. Found some burnt wires in the rear so I'm leaning towards a new harness to eliminate any further issues. What is the suggestion for a harness on a budget?

I may have a good used harness if you choose to go that route.
Thanks, Mark

-
Back