72 Dart Custom w/55k Miles

-

TripleJackInGA

Master of None
Reaction score
Hey Guys & Gals -

Haven't been on here in a long time, and I do have a 65 Dart 270 sitting in the garage, but I just picked up a pretty sweet little 72 Dart Custom w/55k original miles last night.
The back-story is that I lost my job in October, still haven't found one, so I ditched my 2008 Jeep's payments & insurance about 3 weeks ago, in favor of a less expensive means of travel.
I finally found this car listed on craigslist in Birmingham this past weekend, and went and saw it yesterday.
The story the guy gave me, is that his aunt, who's now too old to drive, bought the car new in 72 in Birmingham. The Window Sticker says the car was delivered to Strange Dodge, but the Warranty Card says the selling dealer was Western Dodge on 8-2-72. I found references to Strange Dodge online, but nothing on Western Dodge. I'm guessing Western Dodge got it from Strange Dodge, before selling to her. The Window Sticker says the car was shipped to Strange Dodge, but it says it was sold to "Chrysler Leasing Corporation Tag For Dealer Rent A Car". Unfortunately, the sticker is so tattered, I can't read the top edge, which may have had a date, but I'm guessing this car was used by the dealer as a loaner or something for a bit, before she got it.
She gave it to her nephew, and that's where I found it. I do have paperwork verifying all of that, including the original warranty card with her name on it, a tag receipt with her name on it, and another showing it was transferred from her to him. I also have the original window sticker, which is in tatters, owner's manual, etc..
He said the paint was original, save for a few scrapes she got into over the years with the side of the garage, which look like they were half-assed repairs. I'm not so sure about the entire car having it's original paint, as I suspect it's had at least one repaint, but the car is solid, with zero rust anywhere. It does have a couple of spots that look like they're wanting to start forming around the pointed tips of the lower rear window, but that's it.
The interior of the car looks brand new, except the carpet, which is faded. Everything else is perfect, including the radio, and the never-used ashtray or lighter.
The car white with that famous VERY GREEN interior, and a 225/automatic with factory air, which works just like it should!
Issues with the car, are like you would eexpect on a car that has sat forever, and a couple of them made the 175 mile ride home not so fun.
It's still wearing D78-14 tires, and dry-rot isn't the word for these things. From the tread, I'd say these aren't the originals (the tread is pretty good), but I was seriously waiting for one to come flying apart on I-20 back to Atlanta.
Also, I'm guessing it's the shocks, or the tires, or a combination of both, but the car was feeling every little groove in the road, and it was darting all over the place. Almost felt like play in the steering, but I don't think that was it.
Oh yeah, I stopped to fill up the tank after I got it, and 20 minutes later, the fuel filter was clogged with what looked like rust, so I changed it in a Wal Mart parking lot. No more problems the rest of the way, but I'm guessing that tank is very rusty inside. Hopefully it will flush it all out, but I might have to yank it and have it resealed.
The brakes were firm, but it acts like the power brake booster has a leak. The car would stop, and the pedal didn't lose pressure, but it was like they had no power assist. Just like when yo're driving a car with power brakes that dies, and you go to use the brakes, and they work, but no assist.
The thing that made it the least fun was that the heat isn't working! The guy said tha tthe heater core was blocked up, so at some point her just bypassed it. Yay me. I was freezing my *** off all the way home.

I drove it the speed limit all the way home, with my fingers crossed, hoping the tires didn't disintegrate. Made it just fine after the fuel filter change, and got up this morning and not a drop on the driveway, so cool.

My intentions with the car are to use it as my primary daily driver, at least till I get a job, and can afford something as a backup.
Here's what's on my list of things to do right now:
- FIX THE HEAT!
- Tires: Recommendations?
- Shocks: Recommnendations?
- Brake Booster: They work, but power would be nice.

Anywho, took a pic or two earlier.

Jack

P2080001.jpg

SWEET car! My grandpa's '72 had the same froggy green interior, but his was light yellow outside.

Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread, and you probably already know about the valve adjustment. You may want to do the fuel line mod for better hot starting.

Shocks: Edelbrock IAS all the way. Your choice of red ones or black ones; same shock with different paint (the "classic" ones with black paint cost about $5 less). Decent price from Summit. Front ones are here, rear ones are here.

Tires are on my list of stuff I don't skimp on (together with brakes, shoes, and eyeglasses). I have a set of Vredestein Quatrac 2s on my 52k-mile '73 Dart Custom and they are fantastic tires no matter what kind of roads I'm on. Well worth the extra effort to hunt them down and get them. I've also had good results with BFGoodrich Traction T/A and BFGoodrich Radial T/A. I will not buy off-brand or Chinese-made tires.

Other upgrades: See here.

Welcome aboard. Great car! Also equally great to have another slanter. I have a secret CIA work in progress. lol

Sounds and looks like a nice dart. When you get the bugs worked out I'll bet it is going to be a great daily driver. And Welcome back!

Nice car...If you haven't done any improvements yet , start with new tires. I have a 64 27,000 mi. Fury with original tires. It drives like you described but I have extra rims with good rubber and the car rides nice.

Welcome 73dodgefreek will like your ride
Very nice!! Nice to see the 4 doors kept alive. Here's my '73 when I brought it home and the way she looks now.:cheers: I've had it 2 years now and it has just over 93,000 original miles was bought up from Florida (were it spent its intire life) about 7 years ago

Attachments

• dartav.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 77
  • HPIM5627.sm.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 70
  • HPIM5623.sm.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 66
Beautiful car. Like most, I'm partial to two doors but it's still VERY nice. I think you'll notice a BIG difference when you replace the tires. You might try a reverse flush on the heater core but I'd imagine that's been tried before. New core shouldn't be too expensive. Just a bit of a PITA to replace.

-
Back