72 Dart question

-

crazy4mopar

Reaction score
What type of rear end would be best for a 318 or for a 360???

And how do you tell what size of rearend you have?

Put it this way,if a 8.75 came behind a 440 6pack and automatic hemis,it will last for ever with a small block or most motors.The dana comes from cars with 440 6pack 4 speed cars and standard 4 speed hemi,s,Mrmopartech

It is my experience not to leave things to chance. What I have done with my Dart is convert the front brakes to disc from a 73 Dart' which gave me a bigger bolt pattern for the wheels. And then I purchased a 8 1/4 for the rear also from a 73 dart. I will freshen the bearing, add a posi and 373 gears. I also plan on a 9.5 to 1 360 with a built 727.

The 8 3/4 is a solid rear end but very expensive to build by comparsion to the 8 1/4. To my knowledge the new vehicles coming out have long used 8 1/4 rears. I am currently looking for a wrecked Grand Cherokee with rear discs. I will put them on my dart. A purist will tell you that a 8.75 is the way to go but he doesnt tell you the total cost for a rebuilding. If you look around you will find a 8 1/4 faster then a 8 3/4. I suggest that you go to our parts for sale web site and see whats available for you. Please send me a personal email once you decide what your doing. I have a 71 Dart and I am currently cleaning up the body and getting it ready for paint.

-
Back