72 Dart Swinger dash refurbish

-

66chargerguy

Reaction score
New member here and am redoing the dash on the Dart. Got the vinyl overlays from Detroit Muscle and wanted to take the plastic gauge surround off to work on. Removed the six sheet metal screws and thought it would lift right out—guess again. Is it attached from the back? If so, how do you access the fasteners? Do the wiper and headlight knobs/switches need to be removed? If so, how? I have worked on cars since the 70’s but always avoided dashboards for being too complicated. I sure woild appreciate some help with this.
Thanks in advance,
Craig

IMG_2421.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg

You have to remove the speedometer cable connection. 72 should have a clip on the cable housing to remove the cable.
Unplug the wiper switch and the headlamp switch. Also the gang plug for the lights/oil/brake etc.
Pretty much just plug in stuff.

BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT!!!! Disconnect the battery GROUND!!! You will also have to unbolt the ammeter wires, black and red, and THEY ARE both HOT!!

You have to remove the speedometer cable connection. 72 should have a clip on the cable housing to remove the cable.
Unplug the wiper switch and the headlamp switch. Also the gang plug for the lights/oil/brake etc.
Pretty much just plug in stuff.
Can you remove the plastic face piece by itself without taking out the gauges? I would like to leave this part in the dash if possible.

IMG_0403.png

BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT!!!! Disconnect the battery GROUND!!! You will also have to unbolt the ammeter wires, black and red, and THEY ARE both HOT!!
I have a battery cut-off installed, so nothing is hot unless it is running. Thanks for your concern—electricity can be dangerous to people and equipment.

Thanks for all your help, guys! The next step is to recoat the yellowy plastic that used to be chrome. What are your experiences and/or suggestions—paint pen, model paint? Any prep pointers will be greatly appreciated.

I used Alclad on mine. I had to do a repair on it with JB Pro Weld and the guys who rechrome these wouldn't do it as their cleaning process would melt the repair. Turned out OK for what it is:

-
Back