72 demon 340... again

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the car is missing the build sheet & fender tag - that's not unusual.

You say the vin has an "H" code in it - great.
Now does the door tag and/or body panels (radiator support/rear deck) vin #s all match that vin?

More importantly -- does the motor and tranny vin #s match that vin tag?
All of these things will confirm if it's a real 340 car..and if it's a numbers matching motor/tranny.

The build sheet or fender tag are not needed to confirm this much.

I understand the car is missing the build sheet & fender tag - that's not unusual.

You say the vin has an "H" code in it - great.
Now does the door tag and/or body panels (radiator support/rear deck) vin #s all match that vin?

More importantly -- does the motor and tranny vin #s match that vin tag?
All of these things will confirm if it's a real 340 car..and if it's a numbers matching motor/tranny.

The build sheet or fender tag are not needed to confirm this much.

A positive and intelligent comment on a 4-sale thread............:-D

Not critical 8)

wow... some of the comments are pretty dang critical. Thanks 73cuda for a decent response. I am sure the original poster will appreciate that kind of response alot more rather then some ofthe blasts he recieved.

good luck with the sale.

-RPM

No offense but that price is rather steep for what that needs.....I understand where your coming from though,you feel like you have a pile ofgold and you dont want to sell it for chicken feed prices but as time goes by and you have not sold it,you will have to come to terms that you need to lower it to the price of silver lol.

My 72 duster may not be a 340 car but it is a factory 318 gold duster and I got it for $500.00 with no rust and all new chassis parts,8 3/4 rear with 4.10 posi,close ratio rack,all new shocks,disc front brakes,new tires,and like new rallys 14 skinny up front,15 wide out back.

shrunk2.JPG

i sold a 70 340 swinger (nice car) for $6500 this year and it was like pulling teeth to get that! youve got several issues working against you....rust,documentation,price and economy. mine had a good body,build sheet,and fender tag,but the economy over-rode all of that. good luck man...and remember before you give it away,put it away. im sure your town has a buy here-pay here lot you can get a driver off of.

001.jpg

This car is still on the local craigslist, I dont think it is sold yet. Part of the problem is that the owner never posted any info about the fender tag or build sheet, he just insisted it was a 340 car because he saw a washer welded on the k frame. Without paper work, and being rusty makes it tough, especially in these times. I believe that he grossly over paid for the car in the first place, and probally doesnt want to except a loss.

Hi everyone! :wave:

I have been looking around this forum for a little while now and, after seeing this thread, I guess it's time to introduce myself. I am the one who bought this Demon . I bought it to use as a daily driver and will hopefully be able to do that soon. In the mean time, I am doing some much needed maintenance on the front suspension so I can get her on the road safely.
I was wondering, what is all this you guys have been talking about with the VIN codes etc.? I didn't buy this car to try to "Barrett Jackson" it or anything, but I am still curious as to what is what with its pedegree.
Thanks for all your help!

Hi everyone! :wave:

I have been looking around this forum for a little while now and, after seeing this thread, I guess it's time to introduce myself. I am the one who bought this Demon . I bought it to use as a daily driver and will hopefully be able to do that soon. In the mean time, I am doing some much needed maintenance on the front suspension so I can get her on the road safely.
I was wondering, what is all this you guys have been talking about with the VIN codes etc.? I didn't buy this car to try to "Barrett Jackson" it or anything, but I am still curious as to what is what with its pedegree.
Thanks for all your help!

you would do better starting a new thread in the "welcome wagon" section introduceing yourself there. then you could give us the updates on the car. as far as it's pedegree goes. it is like this, the vin on the dash plate will have an "h" in the 5 slot. this will indicate it is or at least was a 340 car. from there it will have the last 5 didgets of that same vin plate number stamped on the engine block. it will be on the passenger side near the front on a flat spot near the oil pan. this will prove the engine is the original one to the car. the fender tag will be , should be , in the engine bay on the drivers side near the battery. it will list most of the major options the car has or had but will have the cars vin number stamped into it once again. this will further prove the car "is what it is". the last piece of the puzzle will be the actual build sheet. it can be found inside the car in the seat springs of the back seat most of the time. it can be other places in the car as well. this is the actual piece of paper that tells the hole cars build history. it will also have the vin number on it as well. so with these pieces of the puzzle you can show your cars history and "pedegree" to prove it "is what it is" so to speak. without these pieces it is still a good car but will not be worth as much.....did you follow that? welcome aboard by the way!

thanks for the info 7demon2!! I follow, now I just need to do some investigating and find what i can.

Hey nice car.your buy sounds alot like my buy. Hope the suspension thing is going good. Where exactly is that "pee" comming from? another thing you should check before you drive it is the break pads and shoes, see if they're on right. I bought my Valiant this summer and looked at them and the previous owner put them on wrong. Just some advice and good luck to you:)

No offense but that price is rather steep for what that needs.....I understand where your coming from though,you feel like you have a pile ofgold and you dont want to sell it for chicken feed prices but as time goes by and you have not sold it,you will have to come to terms that you need to lower it to the price of silver lol.

My 72 duster may not be a 340 car but it is a factory 318 gold duster and I got it for $500.00 with no rust and all new chassis parts,8 3/4 rear with 4.10 posi,close ratio rack,all new shocks,disc front brakes,new tires,and like new rallys 14 skinny up front,15 wide out back.

Dude in all fairness , you stole this car, I'll take 10.

has washer on front of k member to verify real 340 car.

:read2:Once again I see some reference to a washer on the 340 K member.

I bought a 1971 340 Duster after checking the VIN, fender tag, and door post sticker. All of them matched and the fender tag had the VS and H codes. No Broadcast Sheet (no seats). Rallye Dash. Shark Tooth grille with one broken horizontal vane. The tail panel still had the original striping with the Duster and 340 stickers on the fenders. Front sway bar. There is NO washer welded to the front of the K member. Is the washer on the 340 K member a myth or truth?

If true, that would mean that my K member was replaced at some time. This might explain the missing original motor and tranny which were replaced with a 1976 318 and 904 trans. The rear is a 741 case 3.23 one legger. I paid $2800 (passenger fender & door dents, rust on the driver's lower rear quarter), towed it home and fired it up after a couple of hours work on the fuel system. It still had the performance exhaust manifolds and chrome tips. I drive it around every weekend for fun until I can buy a 340 for it.

BTW: 7demon2, I also have an H code 1969 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible with numbers matching 383 HP and 727 trans. Gotta love the old Whales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back