72 Demon from Seattle

-

Demon756

Reaction score
Hey there, new to this forum. Recently picked myself up a 72 Demon /6 from a guy up here in seattle. He bought it from the original owner, a badass little old lady that that bought it new from the dealership when she was about 60. It's got 107k original miles on it, completely stock except for the wheels, 96-97% rust free. I'm really excited to get underway with this project and am open to any ideas or suggestions.

The first hurdle that I'd like to tackle with this car is a problem with a leaky windshield. The glass is completely solid, it is leaking in the bottom corners and along the dash. I've done some research on the forum and from what I gathered, the windshield gaskets for these cars are on major backorder.

I would really appreciate some input for some possible solutions for the time being. One of the previous owners attempted to seal it up with some clear urethane, but from what I read on here, it sounds like butyl is the sealer of choice for this issue. Thoughts? Techniques?

Attachments

• Demon 1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 238
Welcome There will be someone along who can answer your question. Nice Damon.

Welcome to FABO from SoCal. You're going to have fun here!
Looks like you found yourself a gem. What's the future plans for your new toy?

Welcome aboard! Nice Demon! I had the exact same one in Pennsylvania 20 yrs ago.
Regarding the windshield leak, did you check the windshield wiper pivots. They most commonly leak instead of the gasket.

Where does this pivot leak. I have the same problem and thought it was teh windshield as well?

Welcome aboard! Nice Demon! I had the exact same one in Pennsylvania 20 yrs ago.
Regarding the windshield leak, did you check the windshield wiper pivots. They most commonly leak instead of the gasket.

Wouldn't there water on floor if those were leaking? The wipers pivots are in the cowl which is below the windsheild/dash

Oh yea nice demon WELCOME!!

Welcome to fabo. Nice looking demon. Where the wiper pivots come through the cowl is a very common spot that leaks but the 40+ year old windshield gasket could be the problem. Anything less then replacing it probably won't work. But there are lots of knowledgeable people on this site that might know something that will work till you can replace it.

Attachments

• P7110057.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 173
WELCOME!! Nice Demon be sure to check the sheet metal when the windshield is out for rust.. my 71 Demons windshield leaks on the top right above the rear view mirror lucky it needs a windshield lol so the rust if any will be taken care of then... as well as finish converting the interior to black

Welcome to FABO!
Any glass shop worth their salt should be able to fix the leaking problem.
Nice car BTW!

WELCOME !
Nice LL29 you've got there !

Another area to look at regarding weather leaks : the drains at the lower-rear section of the front fenders .
Leaves , pine needles , mud , etc. , like to buildup there as they find their way into that area via the cowl's vents .
Once I cleaned the crap out of the fender drains on my '72 Dart and '73 Duster ( unfortunately , I no longer have either of them :sad9: ) , the leaking curtailed quite a bit .

If you're thin enough , you can stick your arm up-through the floor vents and feel-around the 'alley' underneath the cowl for obstructions and water if it's wet ( :angry7: ) .

**side note**
Cars from the southwest U.S. seem to suffer the most from this blockage and leaking , due to windy , sandy Fall weather , followed by damp Winters .
The sand , dirt , leaves , etc. , buildup in dryer months ; the when these offenders get wet -- even through regular car washings -- they hold all of that moisture in , resulting in rust and back-flow via the floor vents and wiper pivot seals .

Good luck with your EV2 beauty and have fun with it !8)

The wiper pivots have also been sealed around with some clear urethane. It's tough to say where the water is coming from exactly, I'm only going off what the previous owner told me. Luckily enough it hasn't rained in seattle since I bought it. I'll take a hose to it this weekend and see if I can get a better idea.

Welcome from Texas, glad to have another Demon on the site.

Welcome fellow Demon owner!

I am just north of you about 2 1/2 hours.

good luck with tracing your water leak.

Welcome....... I kinda like the 72's also. lol You would be able to find your leak if ya lived here ....... I think its rained 12 out of the last 16 days.

Finally witnessed the leak, or the results of it rather. And it does appear that the water is coming in through the wiper posts. I'm going to order this wiper seal kit and hopefully that will solve my problem.

-
Back