72 Demon fuse block wire

-

andysauto1

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Having trouble with exterior lighting, can't help but think this wire is the culprit. Can anybody tell me where it goes. Talking about the black wire with the blue end on it

20240929_094820.jpg

20240929_094653.jpg

DETAILS!! Year, make, model

What do you mean, "exterior lighting?" Parking lights, etc? Most? All? of the exterior lighting comes through the light switch, the brake switch, and the turn signal circuit.

That wire is either added or hacked. Where does the end in the fuse panel come from? If it is connected to the load side of a fuse, look that fuse up in your manual and see what all it lists for that fuse's load

1972 340 Demon with 4 speed. Wire was obviously cut and new end added. Looks like it might be some kind of ground.Anyway the car ha no exterior lights at all. If you take a test list to the socket it shows power the kicker is the outside of the tail light socket shows power to
Thinking it has to be a ground

1972 340 Demon with 4 speed. Wire was obviously cut and new end added. Looks like it might be some kind of ground.Anyway the car ha no exterior lights at all. If you take a test list to the socket it shows power the kicker is the outside of the tail light socket shows power to
Thinking it has to be a ground
There is no ground anywhere attached to a fuse block and NEVER assume that black is ground because it usually "ain't."

You keep saying "exterior lights." Does this include headlights? stoplights? Turn signals? Park tail? Some of these come from different circuits and power sources.

WHAT DOES work in the car.

HEADLIGHTS: Headlights only power comes off the black ammeter wire called the "welded splice" a few inches from the ammeter. This splice breaks off and feeds the power to ignition switch, the hot buss in the fuse panel, the headlights, and depending on year, one or two other things.

Headlights power goes to B1 on the light switch, through the switch, out and down to the dimmer switch where it breaks out to hi and lo, and then feeds through the bulkhead connector.

I would start by unbolting the dimmer switch and see if you have power there with light switch out

Park, tail, and dash dimmer controlled lighting is powered from a fuse which feeds B2 on the light switch, so that is a completely separate source.

Brake lights comes from a fuse, through the brake switch, through the turn signal switch, and off to the rear lights.

It would be rare to have a single point failure causs all lighting to go dark.

no tail lights, no turn signal, no side markers, no backup lights, do have head lights. I had to drop the fuse block down to get to the top door hinge to align door before painting the car a year ago, just now in the reasembley stage. Everything worked before that.

Fuses right out of the shop manual. You can download this for free from MyMopar, and the reason that several of those are there is because of some of the guys on here

I would pick a symptom and go after it.

72ValFuses.jpg

I'll tell you what might be. That black (how large what gauge?) might be a hacked feed to the "hot" buss in the fuse panel. If so, it originally came from the welded splice as I mentioned. Look on the rear of the fuse panel. There are 3 distinct separate busses. One section is "accessory," powered only when the key is in ACC or "run." Another is the "hot" buss and is always powered. The last, at one end, is just one fuse and is for the cluster/ dash dimmer controlled lighting. THAT fuse gets its power ONLY when the light switch is either in "park" or full on, from the tan wire coming off the light switch.

-
Back