72 Demon leaking power steering box

-

72DemonHcode

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I noticed my power steering box is leaking out of the shaft where the coupler is and hooks to the steering shaft. I tried looking up seal kits for this however not sure which is the correct one. Has anyone replaced one of these or could provide information on the correct kit? This is on a 1972 demon with power steering. Thank you.

I'm no expert - I had Steer and Gear do my PS box for my 71 Demon. They are in Columbus, OH. Good people - give'm a call and they could fix you up I'm sure.

Good luck with that. When the shaft seal leaks, it's sometimes as much internal as external. The top of the box is very low pressure behind the seal. The internal chambers are a bit higher, and if it leaks internally, it's hard to stop the shaft seal from leaking. There's a couple of special tools needed. A FSM is your friend here.

More Information for GATES 350510

Hydraulics are all alike. Transmissions, brakes, power steer, or shocks.. They leak when they're wore out. It's rarely just a seal issue.
Replacing the seal may slow or stop the leak for a bit, but it's usually not a permanent fix. There are exceptions, but unless it was near new before being exposed to something that killed the seals, chances are it's just worn.
Best to dig in and do a proper rebuild and tighten up whatever is worn and causing the seal to be impinged on, causing the leak.
No reason not to try it yourself, but you're likely to run into some challenges with certain operations. I'd search out a manual and probably a few videos beforehand and decide if it's worth it or if it would be better to buy a quality reman unit.

Yes I’m hoping to
I did mine with the gates kit. The major challenge for me was to get the thrust bearing preload set correctly. You'll see that in the manual. It took some time to get it spot on. The output shaft was supposed to have bearings inside the case for support, but mine did not. Take your time and keep things clean and organized.

Yes I’m hoping to
Like your screen name. Thought you'd like this plate.......

IMG_3478.JPG

-
Back