72 Demon - Rachael

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rachel is a 72 Demon......i originally bought it for the running slant six but after looking the car over ....it turned out to look a lot worse than it really is, the floors all have surface rust but its not rusted through anywhere and the underside is all dry metal. the body is beat...every panel has a dent and the 1/4s have bondo that was used to repair some collision damage. This turned out to be the best $500. i have spent in awhile. she gave up her slant six as planned and sat for a awhile

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 979
  • 3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 980
  • 4.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 979
  • 5.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 972
  • 6.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 977
after sitting for a awhile i did get motivated and swapped the K-frame and dropped in a good running 318. also got rid of the slotted mags that were on it and un- did all the previous owner's mods.

also scored a pair of 1/4s for it and some rally wheels

so plan is now to get it running and go through the brakes

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 943
  • 105.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 953
  • 104.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 959
  • 103.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 962
  • 102.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 968
  • 101.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 952
  • 100.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 992
Looks like its coming along good. Great score on the quarters! It reminds me of my 72 when I was 18, 14 years later the only visual difference is the primer changed colors.

Aj

Good to hear you saved it instead of parting it.
What is your next step?

Cool, this build looks like a fun one! What are your plans for this one? I can see it now....yellow with black stripes :glasses7:

What are your plans for the cat? :D

Nice job Rani, another Mopar saved!

Rachel looks sweet. Your cat seems to really like her too :glasses7:

Looks like a great build! Seems pretty solid for a part out, glad you're building the old girl up. :D

I love Demons, my Duster is going to end up getting converted at some point. Speaking of which, was Rachel originally a Demon? I ask because it looks like the car was originally white, but the front fenders are blue and the hood is green, kinda like someone pieced the front clip together. Or maybe there was accident damage to the front clip too at some point?

Looks like a great build! Seems pretty solid for a part out, glad you're building the old girl up. :D

I love Demons, my Duster is going to end up getting converted at some point. Speaking of which, was Rachel originally a Demon? I ask because it looks like the car was originally white, but the front fenders are blue and the hood is green, kinda like someone pieced the front clip together. Or maybe there was accident damage to the front clip too at some point?

i actually pieced the front end together myself bcoz the original grille was crushed by the bumper being pushed up and the original fenders were beat .....it was a sad sight when i got it ....but the new front end pieces made a ton of difference to make it look salvagable. it does have a problem on drivers front frame rail bcoz one the bumber bolt nuts was tore out and it has jagged metal for a 3 inch spot.

the previous owners abused it ....when i picked it up they were bragging about their "good times" of getting drunk and driving it through corn fields and going into the ditches .........This car came from very near to my house and its all farm land out here with lots of corn fields.

when i got it was also full of empty beer cans and bottles.

Rani you have more build threads than anyone.. lol

Love it.. and your shop is inviting. look at all of that space and tool chests.

Congratulations on scoring the 72 Demon. I have one that I'm working on, too. It came out of the desert in California. The vinyl roof disintegrated trapping enough moisture under it to rot the sheet metal. Originally it was a /6, drum brake car.

I'm in the process of getting the interior together. I had a similar mix 'n match of sheet metal. 1 front fender, both doors, and the roof had to changed out.

Sorry you've had to get rid of the 72 grille. They have been very hard to find complete, even broken. Seems the little tabs are extremely vulnerable.

Attachments

• 32_1.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 835
  • 52_1.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 843
  • 60_1.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_5493s.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 848
  • 72-Demon-white-stripe.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 859
I have the blue horn button if you need one.

Rachel looks sweet. Your cat seems to really like her too :glasses7:

my cat is like that with all my cars LOL ....he is my buddy ...he follows me to barn and when im under the car laying on the ground he comes to sniff me and meows concern bcoz he thinks im laying on the ground bcoz im hurt.........sometimes when im under the car he comes and sits on my tummy LOL

amazing how ppl find best friends in unlikely places........

he is trained too, he rolls over on request and he shakes hands ......and when he sees me after a long time we customarily touch noses and purr LOL

sometimes i think i need more human friends ROFLMAO

Good to see your working on it and giving it a new home and life Rani. Better than the previous guys joyriding and using it as a farm car. I seen your kitty on top of the motor and I guess you could call it a CAT motor.:D

i actually pieced the front end together myself bcoz the original grille was crushed by the bumper being pushed up and the original fenders were beat .....it was a sad sight when i got it ....but the new front end pieces made a ton of difference to make it look salvagable. it does have a problem on drivers front frame rail bcoz one the bumber bolt nuts was tore out and it has jagged metal for a 3 inch spot.

the previous owners abused it ....when i picked it up they were bragging about their "good times" of getting drunk and driving it through corn fields and going into the ditches .........This car came from very near to my house and its all farm land out here with lots of corn fields.

when i got it was also full of empty beer cans and bottles.

So glad you are saving this car Rani :cheers: I can say that I myself have drove threw corn fields back in the day and put the car in drive as a friend and I was drinking beer and riding on the hood of a 63 buick :D... Yea thows was the days :happy1:
Keep up the great work and I will keep an eye on your build. make that builds now that I see you have a few going on :cheers:

i recently made a big time score and bought a lot of parts and included in the lot was 3 440s .......

so needless to say Rachael here is going to get a transplant .....so out with the 318 and in with modified K-frame

Attachments

• CIMG1433.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 633
i ended up setting a block of wood under the 440 for now bcoz my engine puller broke and i still needed to keep the engine suspended while i welded in the last ear

Attachments

• CIMG1429.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 625
even with a 440, it didnt weigh the car down like i thought it would.......once i get another engine puller i need to level the engine and make sure everything is fitted right ...then pull the engine again to clean it up ....its a good runner but original stuff so its dirty greasy and with shot original paint .......when the engine comes out again ...i need to pound the firewall pinch weld up so it dont interfere with the bellhousing come clutch change time

Attachments

• CIMG1431.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 620
  • CIMG1432.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 631
  • CIMG1428.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 633
Very cool i like it! do you need to tear the motor apart or is it a runner? im guessing you are going to use a 4-speed? :happy1:

Your Demon is gonna be pretty bad a$$ when your done with her Rani!

Very cool i like it! do you need to tear the motor apart or is it a runner? im guessing you are going to use a 4-speed? :happy1:

yes i prefer a good four gear .....and the engine is a runner.....its just a later cast crank motor, but i have experience with later 440s in A-bodies and i have never been disappointed ......i have a 67 cuda with a HI-PO 440 with high compression and 915 heads and whole nine yards but i think all that is kinda wasted in an A-body, bcoz its so hard to get them to hook up effectively .....so a later LO-PO engine is perfect for the street with street tires which is what im planning to do with this car. :happy8:

i just need to clean the engine up ....it looks horrible (not that the car looks any better LOL) ...greasy with cob webs ....i plan to make it look as stock as possible ...72 valve covers .....stock air cleaner .....spark plug wire clips ......heat stove....iron intake ....and my favorite part ..... a correct thermoquad LOL

this much fun should be illegal :D

Your Demon is gonna be pretty bad a$$ when your done with her Rani!

in my dreams it will look as good as yours ....when i get around to paint i want to paint it orange like yours .....thats is such a sexy color for a car with lines like these .......an orange 72 demon has been high on my dream car list since i was a little girl ....so this is crazy fun to try and put this together :cheers:

-
Back