72 Demon Sliding Top Sunroof Questions (I just bought one)

-

challengersteve

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I just bought a 72 Demon that has the factory fabric sliding sunroof option. I checked and it looks like the V3W on the fender tag means it was factory installed. I have not looked for a build sheet yet but there may be one as the interior is pretty much untouched. The car has the typical rust in the bottom of the quarters and center of the trunk floor but looks super solid underneath. The only serious rust is both rockers. I assume they are rusty as the sunroof drains dump out there I believe. This is a 318 car with power steering and factory a/c, white (original paint) green interior. I have the engine that came out of the car but I do not know if it is number matching yet.
My question would be is this car rare enough to justify a restoration, being a 318 car? I read that they only offered this option on the 71 - 72 Demons but have not been able to find out anything about how many may have been built.
As far as the sliding roof, I tore what was left of the vinyl off but the framework and all inside pieces look fine. This also has the 2 small dome lights on either side of the roof opening.
If anyone has any info about these sliding roof cars I would greatly appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance for your replies, Steve

DSCN9808.JPG

DSCN9809.JPG

DSCN9811.JPG

DSCN9814.JPG

I would definitely restore it. If only the body. If the engine isn't numbers matching then that kinda frees the choices up. It's definitely something very unique. I've only ever seen the tiny sunroofs. It doesn't look too bad honestly. The rockers are the hardest part. Everything else looks pretty normal for an A body. As long as the roof and sunroof areas are good to go, I'd say go for it! Just my $00.02

My question would be is this car rare enough to justify a restoration, being a 318 car? I

justify it in what way?? be cool to see it restored since there aren't many around.. but like most it will most likely cost more to restore it then it will be worth in the end.. only you can say if its justifiable...

What I mean by justify I mean would it be more than a parts car, needing the rockers replaced? I know doing a full resto would never be a money maker (on most any car for that matter). I myself would probably never do a full resto on this car but I may do the metal work in our shop as I have several Dusters for parts and most have perfect rockers. I also have a 72 Duster with good quarters for patch panels. That way I could sell it to someone that would be willing to do the final paint and build it the way they wanted.
Does anyone have any idea how many of these cars may have been built? I saw something online about only being a couple hundred but I have no idea if that is accurate or just a guess.
Thanks again for the help

What I mean by justify I mean would it be more than a parts car, needing the rockers replaced? I know doing a full resto would never be a money maker (on most any car for that matter). I myself would probably never do a full resto on this car but I may do the metal work in our shop as I have several Dusters for parts and most have perfect rockers. I also have a 72 Duster with good quarters for patch panels. That way I could sell it to someone that would be willing to do the final paint and build it the way they wanted.
Does anyone have any idea how many of these cars may have been built? I saw something online about only being a couple hundred but I have no idea if that is accurate or just a guess.
Thanks again for the help
I have no idea how many were built, but if its something you just kept stashed and worked on it when you found the time I'd say it'd be worth it, even if you were just to sell it to someone to finish it. Its a special car. Even if it's just a 318, its not something you saw every day, even when it first came out. Who knows how many more are left out there today?

Pretty rare car!! I've yet to see one in person. Build it & Congrats on the find :D

It sure would be a shame not see that brought back to life, especially if you have the place, parts and ability to do it.

I had a 72 Duster with the same roof, still have pictures of it around here somewhere, not digital as it was 1986 when I owned it.

I owned a 72 Demon - soft top sun roof, in 1980 while I was stationed in Louisiana.
It was a 318 also - I rebuild the engine and the interior. Had a shop rebuild the top with leather. The car is worth rebuilding... I gave 500 for mine and sold it in 1982 before I had to go to Korea. I have been looking for one for years.

I was just talking to a guy at work about these cars! Weird? It was hard to find info on them.

Here is a picture of my Demon, yes that is a CB antenna, call sign Blue Goose, back then. and My 2013 Dodge Dart with a Demon badge I added.
BLUGOOSE.jpg
2014-12-15 06.56.04.jpg

Oh I know where one is about 5 miles from where I live now. But the old guy drives it and loves it toooo much. It would take work, so I'm waiting I know his son so when the owner can no longer drive I may have a chance to get one.

Its good someone is saving it or at least the roof. I often wondered if The VW used the same top insert. It looks the same. I never had one but I have seen some in salvage yards years back. I wish I would have bought the roof's. But back then they were not that popular. Now super rare.

-
Back