72 Dodge Dart Swinger

-

SoCal mopar

Mopar Dude
Reaction score
225 /6, auto, 3 speed column shift, bench seat, 13” small bolt patter with hubcaps…. Some cancer…. Cooling issues, electrical gremlins, 55k miles, most receipts from about 1980, sat for about 4+ years before purchase. Owned by same women since about 80….

Somebody did make changes to the car which are not documented. I ran the fender plate and found it was a triple black vinyl top car. Now white with no vinyl top.

More to follow…..

As I learn about my new A body I will post what I learn and the progress I make. I hope to help others with what I learn.

I have a 73 barracuda and 73 charger also under construction. This won’t be a garage queen or a fast rebuild. This will be a regular driver that is over all 50’ @ 50mph. For the body style and price I couldn’t pass this car up.

IMG_6411.jpeg

IMG_6412.jpeg

IMG_6409.jpeg

IMG_6413.jpeg

IMG_6414.jpeg

IMG_6410.jpeg

IMG_6407.jpeg

IMG_6418.jpeg

IMG_6415.jpeg

IMG_6417.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is the breakdown of my fender tag. Pic attached.

Key words: fender tag , tag breakdown, tag decoder, fender codes, VIN decoder

Fender tag / Vin decoder website for classic mopars:

Mopar Fender Tag Decoder

1719719263319.png

CodeDescription
E24225 1 Barrel 6 Cyllinder
D34TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission
LH23L = Dodge Dart / Demon
H = High
23 = 2 Door Hardtop
C2BC = 225 110HP(net) 1-1BBL 6 CYL
2 = 1972
B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
302826Sequence Number '302826'
HT6Paint Code: Unknown At This Time
E2X9Trim Grade/Style/Color
E = Economy
2 = Vinyl Bench
X9 = Black
TX9Upper Door Frame: Black / Black Velvet
201Date Built: 2 / 01 / 1972
154692Order Number: 154692
V1XRoof Type OR Color: Full Vinyl Top - Black
UBuilt to Specifications for USA Order
B51Power Assisted Brakes
G11Tinted Glass All
G33Left Hand Outside Mirror - Manual / Chrome
H51Single Air /w Heater
J253 Speed Variable Wipers
L25Trunk Compartment Light
L31Hood / Fender Mount Turn Signal
M21Roof Drip Rail Moldings
M43Grill Surround Molding
M88Quater Panel Tape Treatment
N95Nox Exhaust Emission Control
R11Music Master Radio AM
V5XBlack - Mouldings - Protective Insert Body Side
EN1End of Codes Assembly Line 1

Last edited:
ah! so you're the one that scooped it up!

i saw it and contemplated, but i'm currently on double secret probation from buying more cars at the moment. looked like a solid car and a good deal.

It was so so. It has its pitfalls for sure - more cancer than I realized - the studs were ground off for the chrome around the bottom of the rear window and painted over - driver side headlight is inside the wrong dart grill piece(different year?) vertical lines not horizontal, some chrome is missing based on the fender tag breakdown, and there is something wrong with the engine I'm not catching - you saw my rebuild post.... I've done the work I can do at home and am taking it to a shop on Monday to troubleshoot and perform maintenance on some stuff I don't have the resources or time to do.

Time will tell how good a deal it was. As long as it runs I don't care. I want a driver.

If I had my own shop this would be a quick flip kind of great car. I've got a 318 and 904 sitting and would make a great swap. I am going to keep the 225 but the car has potential.

So today I started replacing lights ..... Stuck my thumb though a weak reverse lens, broke the driver side fender turn signal (badly corroded), found most of my light sockets need to be cleaned to make a better connection/work better .... decided to take a break.

I’m going to try some LED. But so far the common lights look better to me than the LED.

Below are the replacement lights I have bought for the car so far.

My local parts stores all carry Sylvania so these numbers are as I have found them.

I spent a lot of time sitting in the isles using this bulb-finder search function.

Sylvania Automotive Bulb Replacement Guide

Tail lights -
Reverse lights - 1156

Break / running lights / turn signal - 1157

Front turn signal - 1157A (amber)

Head lights - H6024

Dome light - 1004
Dash light - 1445
Map light - 89
Trunk light - 1004
Engine compartment light - 1003
Glove box light - 1891
Side marker lights -
Front - 194
Rear - 194

To be continued.......

The brighter bulb is common type and the dim is LED .

IMG_6426.jpeg

IMG_6424.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back