72 Dodge Dart Swinger

-
Test drove it today. Carburetor is working better. Still have my foot into the floor to get it to go above 2000 RPM, or up a hill, or against the wind.....

I've got to lift the car up and check the kick down linkage. Ive messed with the linkage behind the carb, but haven't really seen any change. I'm thinking the transmission to linkage might need inspection.

Currently you press the gas and it gets up to speed in town - 30MPH~ish. BUT, any more than that and its pedal to the floor with a slow increase in speed/RPM. I would expect the car to shift into 1st/2nd and wind up very quickly, and then shift again...... The most RPM Ive seen out of the car was today at about 3K......

What do you guys think?

have someone press the gas pedal to the floor (or wedge it with a pole/bar etc) while you check at the carb that you actually are getting full throttle. that's what it sounds like to me.
neil.
I was reading a LONG thread last night on here FABO. That is going to be my first check. I am trying to find a diagram of my specific set up for the throttle and kick down linkage in the Service manual.

Reading some of these other posts I am glad I am not afraid of a tool box, and am willing to learn.

If it isn't pinging, try a few degrees more of ignition timing advance. Sounds like a timing issue.
Definitely on my list of to dos without a question. Adding the pertronix system I know timing needs adjusted.

Reading so many posts on FABO last night I’m leaning another direction. Because if the dead peddle at a certain rpm/speed, and learning my carb was molested at some point, I’m prioritizing throttle and kick down linkage.

have someone press the gas pedal to the floor (or wedge it with a pole/bar etc) while you check at the carb that you actually are getting full throttle. that's what it sounds like to me.
neil.
So I have done this in the past. My butterfly opens. However, the linkages for the accelerator and kick down just haven't looked right. In trying this again and leaving the brick on I found the butterfly did open but my carbs mechanical cams weren't actuating the kick down enough. In playing with the cams, springs, and adjusting my kick down linkage I found my accelerator cable is shot. It is stretched or wrong for the car. I Mickey mouse it to take out the slack and then adjusted the kick down linkage.

I now have a small G-Force of pull and can pass a car while going through the automatic gears. More adjustment is needed I am sure, but I'm happy.

Last edited:
I believe I have the 2.7X or 2.9X rear end.

Out of curiosity what are your speeds and RPM ranges? I'm going to do some more adjusting on my carb for idle and air mixture, and check timing, but I feel my RPMs are high. I need to drive it more to get a better base line, but am curious what you guys get with similar factors.

-
Back