72 duster-6 to 8

-

mopars again

Reaction score
Looks like I made deal on a 1972 Duster-driver
Slant 6, auto, pwr steering, Bench seat ,beige w black bench interior.
Needs front fenders (dented), inner fenders, trunk/qtr panel fillers, needs brake work (MC out, Not a problem going w discs anyway), Lower rear qtrs. and of course paint. I+O Rockers and Strut mounts are solid. Probably go w a daily at first while I work on it. The six will be fine for that, BUT it is definitely without debate going away in favor of a 340 ,360 or 440 auto. Had s6's b4 and not my style at all. 6 appears to be a super six w export(?) Mopar alum intake.
I plan on using Schumacher mounts and headers with a disc brake kit of some kind or disc brake/V8 K-frame and 8 1/4 SG OR custom 8 3/4 RE. Have to go with 4.5 bolt pattern wheels as Keystone does not make them in 4" BC anymore. (let alone want Keystone raiders 15x4's in 4" bc)
This car will be a visual clone of a 1972 340/auto Twister Duster :prayer:I bought new after returning form overseas in '71. Special order Black w white stripes, black bench interior, column shifted (changed later) 727 ,no scoops plain hood, I added Keystone Raiders, six pac scooped hood and built the 340 to improved AAR TA specs.. yep, ran like raped cat.
I have some questions coming up as to the swap info and parts needed. I watched that 340 Duster turn to toast at a drag strip after a fuel fire in 1977. I walked away from it and mopar. :violent1:(been a Chevy guy since. Again, a economics thing) :eek:ops:
Some 35 years later I have come to my senses and am returning to mopar for what I plan on being my last and keeper rod build.
So anything I did knew about A body's is either outdated info or long forgotten (bad case of CRS). Pictures coming as soon as I get it home. I do have a pic now of a near identical (except wheels) 340 car like my old one though-

Attachments

• Picture20022.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 149
This is very close to the way my 340 car looked at the time of the fire ,same paint same hood, different wheels-again Keystones, and had the original shark tooth grille, gold tinted film side glass (remember that crap?).

Attachments

• duster.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 149
Woops, never mind. torsion frame mounts both crumbled when he lifted it. Got my money back. Title turned out be goober'd as well. Too bad, it turned out to be a Twister Duster. Back to looking.:violent1:

-
Back