72 duster Build progress

-
Well today I decided to get some more work done to the duster.

And I smell progress in the air LOL.

I sanded some more on the door, primed the door again and then 400 grit sanded it and then scotch brighted it.

then I sanded the interior sail panels that I had already primed and sanded long ago.

then I tack clothed everything, masked everything off and mixed up some black paint.

sprayed it all and it all came out good!.

I decided to use an oil based gloss black and thinned it out and added hardener to it because I wanted it to look kind of like the factory paint on the doors....not overly glossly like clear coat would do and I wanted the thickness/texture of an oil base paint to give it the factory looking texture.....not to smooth and glassy looking.

it came out really nice and has a nice factory look to it.

don't mind the pictures, I took them with my cell phone.

I decided to paint the hole back side of the door black and when I paint the body I will cut in half way onto the door with my purple (the hole jam side of the door wont stay black....it will be "factory divided").

only bummer is, I had to pull my factory vin tag off the door ( it was a little ratted out anyways) so now I need to find out if anyone reproduces these stickers if I were to give them the numbers off of my sticker....not sure if anyone does but it would seem like someone would?

One more door to go and the two lower rear metal peices that show under the rear side interior panels .....and then I can start putting my interior back together!, wooooohoooooo!!!!!:cheers:

P.S. pictures are in no particular order, some are after a coat or two of paint and some are after its finished

gotta love using the car as a workbench. us space limited guys have to get creative.

i lost my door vin tag as well, about 4 doors back, so if you find one, let me know.

gotta love using the car as a workbench. us space limited guys have to get creative.

i lost my door vin tag as well, about 4 doors back, so if you find one, let me know.

HAHA YUP , 14x20 garage is just BARELY big enough for the duster a tool box,bench and air compressor....plus all my crap laying around....but, I have still managed to get a bunch done all out of this limited space lol.

if I find anyplace that does the door tags I will update the thread

yup. 17 by 28 for mine. barely enough room for two cars, tools, storag, etc.

but perserverence and patience with the workspace pays of.

Well...... I decided that the $250.00 gift certificate I won from YearOne for sponsoring me in Mopar Muscle Magazine would be best spent in getting a new headliner for the duster since I am finishing the interior first.

and when I ordered it they told me it was $249.99 LOL and I told them that my brand new A-body YearOne catalog said it was $199.99 so luckily they corrected the price for me and didnt give me any hassle about it....BUT since it was oversized shipping on it....the total came out to about $245.00 LOL, so it pretty much used up all of my winnings...BUT HEY, im still happy! one less thing I have to buy thanks to YearOne and Mopar Muscle Magazine ( THANKS GUYS!!!! if anyone from either place happens to see this).

only bummer is, the headliner is on back order and they said they probably wont be able to send it out until the end of this month.....but oh well, I can find other stuff to do to the duster in the mean time lol....like finishing up what I started on the last page of this thread .....PAINT!!!!

figured I would update everyone on that tid bit of info lol

WHOA, just noticed.......over 1,000 veiws on my thread in less than a week......looks like when I pick up the pace on my build.....you guys pick up the pace on checking it out LOL :cheers:

thanks guys, I appreciate all of my "followers" keep the comments rolling in!.

Well, today I went out to the garage with intentions of sanding and painting my passenger side door......and I ended up wondering around looking at other stuff and got side tracked and ended up finishing putting the drivers side door back together for the most part instead....put the felt track back in that the window rubs on,put on the duster emblem,put the plastic on the door and sealed it up with tape and popped new holes in the tape,repainted door panel and arm rest,cleaned up the chrome on the door panel trim and the window crank and door handle and ash tray,repainted the silver on the duster emblem for the door because it was starting to fade,installed it all....came out looking really good....nice and clean factory look to it.......now I just have to do all the same to the passenger side....but we are having kind of cold weather the passed few days and I would like to catch a nice warm day before I lay the door paint.

ohh and.....I got to looking at my large box filled with exhaust parts that I had not installed yet because my spring had been moved 3" inward on both sides so it looked like the exhaust would have to be custom bent or I would have to run side exits on it......well today I decided to mess with it and after a few hours of cutting and configuring all the angles of the pipes and bolting down all the u-bolts and installing exhaust hangers and all that kind of good stuff.....MY EXHAUST IS DONE!.....other than I have to trim up the tail pipes and get some exhaust tips for it....but it sounds good.

P.S. once again , don't mind my pictures....I took them on my cell phone.

looking good. the seats have a nice look with the rest of the interior from that last shot. the steering wheel looks funny, though. a little too 70's style for the look youre coming up with.

looking good. the seats have a nice look with the rest of the interior from that last shot. the steering wheel looks funny, though. a little too 70's style for the look youre coming up with.

Not sure what you mean by that? lol.......considering its a 1972, I would say it looking " 70's ish is a good thing LOL"

Im not going for any specific look on the interior other than factory with a set of power leather buckets.

and exterior will stay true to the 70's aswell with the plum crazy purple......so im not sure what "look" you thought I was going for lol.

I think it looks good.

looking good man! keep up the good work! 8)

Thanks I appreciate the kind words.

This project has not been a fast one so far and I for sure have not had the funds to make this an over night type of thing......but even going at it at the pace I have a finishing things in steps It has came a long way.

even just from looking back at the start of this thread at the pictures of the car when I first got it.

slow but sure its coming along

i meant no offense, by the way. hope you didint take it as being a jerk.

are you power or manual steering?

and i looked back at when you first bought the car. sure has come a long way.

i meant no offense, by the way. hope you didint take it as being a jerk.

are you power or manual steering?

and i looked back at when you first bought the car. sure has come a long way.
None taken, manual steering

I havent got much done lately one the duster, we had a cold snap and then its been super windy and we had some thunder storms and still had to make family time plus my little ones birthday is coming up so we have been running around doing stuff for that.

but I did go out to the garage and tinker around (stare at the duster) HAHAHA no but I did manage to get a LITTLE done, I pulled the felt strip off the passenger door that the window rides against, repainted my dash pad and mounted my tach and I put green bulb cover on the tach light so it matches my other interior lighting on the dash.

all looks good other than I can't stand how dim the gauge cluster lighting is....Im curious if maybe I could find some L.E.D replacement bulbs to install in the factory sockets if maybe it would brighten my gauges up.

interior is coming together though, pretty much have to paint passenger door and a few little peices and then I can run all my wiring and stick down my sound deadening material and then put carpet in and when my headliner shows up I can put it in.

hoping to have it done by the end of the month if not early october, all depends on weather and when my headliner shows up from being on back order

Well after fabo crashed I lost a BUNCH of pictures....so I have to go through and see what pictures are missing and see if MAYBE I can get them loaded back on......but no guarantees.

Headliner showed up yesterday!!!!

today I sanded my passenger door down and primed it and painted it!!!

waiting for it to dry before I do anything else so tomorrow I might mess with it more.

it has been cold and rainy here in lower MI for the passed couple weeks so I havent got much of anything done so it has pushed my "deadline" of where I thought I would be back a little bit.

but today and tomorrow are the warmest nicest weather days we are having for a bit so I figured I would get some stuff done.

so I am hoping that I can have my interior done by the end of october.

all I have left to do on my interior is,put door panel on passenger side,put my insulation on floor and ceiling,put carpet it,put headliner in,paint a couple small things,put seats back in,bolt my dash pad in place and a bunch of small odds and ends...and I have to recover my package tray and sail panels in black leather but that wont take long.

a couple solid days of work I could have the interior "done" but it will take longer than that since I can only work on it a little now and then and when the weather permits

I think I found most of the pictures that I lost from this thread when fabo crashed so I will repost them for everyone too see, plus I will post up the pictures of the progress I just made tonight on painting the passenger side door.

first picture is of my tach after I put green covers over the light and of my cd player after I installed it.

next is of my ceiling after I undercoated it

next is of a little posi action from a quick tap of the gas LOL (don't mind the ugly tail panel.

next is of the drivers side door and sail panels during primer and paint

next is a picture of the duster just because lol

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 982
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_0210.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 971
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 990
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 971
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 984
Here are some pictures of the drivers side door after I taped the plastic wind barrier in place,put duster emblem in place,put door panel,arm rest,ash tray,window crank, chrome trim,window felt and door handle on.

and the last pictures are from tonight after I primed and sanded the door and painted it

Attachments

• IMG_0233.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 979
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 976
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 982
  • IMG_0219.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 971
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 974
-