72 duster Build progress

-
you started in march.? you are not done yet? nah, just playin with ya. i just found your build thread. keep up the great work

HAHA I started before that lol.

been pecking at it since about july of 09.

limited money and time and space make for a slow resto.....but slow but sure it is getting done.

well.....today I decided I was going to start installing my headliner.

I was thinking it was going to be an "easy" job that wouldnt take to long.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

needless to say....after 2 hours of screwing with it all by myself I wasn't getting anywhere but calling the headliner every dirty name I could think of and taking a few breaks so i could stare at it and shake my head in disgust LOL.

but I finally manged to get it SOMEWHAT installed.

its up in place and I have my dome light in place and my sun visors in place ( headliner came with pre cut holes in these areas aswell as the seat belt mounting area ) (just had to cut the vinyl and fold it inside the holes).

BUT the of course did NOT pre cut the rear view mirror holes or the shirt hook holes in the back ( not sure yet if I am going to even bother reinstalling those because I never use them dang hooks in anything lol).

so I will have to figure out how to go about putting the holes in for my rear view.....fir it in a bit more comfortably and do a bit of tweaking and finish getting it all up in place as it should be and then I can move onto buttoning up the rest of the interior.

I took a picture with my phone...not sure how well you can make it out but here ya go.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 984
got a little done today, got all my door panels dyed and installed the plastic door wind barrier, I installed the passenger front panel, polished the window crank and door handle, installed all that, installed the passenger front window felt, restored my rearveiw mirror,installed all my headliner ( sucked doing it by myself),found a little center console thing/cup holder, tossed it in there and it doesnt look half shabby, might keep it in there until I get around to making a custom center console some time in the future.

OH and I FINALLY found my dang glove box latch so I put all that together so I can close that

all thats left to go on the interior is,I need a glove box liner, I need to either find or make some new sail panels in the back, I need to make a new package tray ( all ready have the black leather to cover it and the insulation to go under it, just need to pick up some panel wood or something and cut out a template) and I need to put my rear trim panels on and dye my rear seat ( I will probably dye my rear seat in the spring when its warmer out...no rush.

its getting closer!!!

don't mind some of the pictures, alot of stuff has been collecting dust and I havent had a chance to wipe it down. And I have to pick up some floor mats because every bit of dirt my boots pick up from my garage floor shows up on the back carpet and i don't want the brand new carpet looking less than lol.

also I am including a little "before and after picture" that I made to give those of you who may not have looked at the beginning of this thread to see what the interior use to look like.....pretty neat to see the transformation side by side!:cheers:

DSCI1341-1.jpg

DSCI1342-1.jpg

DSCI1329-1.jpg

DSCI1328-1.jpg

DSCI1327-1.jpg

DSCI1321.jpg

DSCI1324.jpg

DSCI1352-1.jpg

DSCI1351-1.jpg

DSCI1339-1.jpg

DSCI1338-1.jpg

and the engine patiently awaiting daily driverism LOL
DSCI1337-1.jpg

DSCI1335-2.jpg

DSCI1334-1.jpg

DSCI1333-2.jpg

Other than some finger prints and dust it looks new
DSCI1332-1.jpg

DSCI1326-1.jpg

DSCI1323.jpg

Attachments

• before and after of interior.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,014
Man it is looking Out-Standing, love the engine bay shot cause Plum-Crazy is My FAVOOORATE!!!!! can't wait to see it ALL that color great job so far.
Brad

Man it is looking Out-Standing, love the engine bay shot cause Plum-Crazy is My FAVOOORATE!!!!! can't wait to see it ALL that color great job so far.
Brad

Thanks.

I love the color too.

some people say plum crazy is to played out buy I say :bootysha: lol.

I like it and thats what I decided to go with.

interior is about wrapped up and then I can move on to body work and paint!

its looking like I might custom make my package tray,sail panels and maybe my glove box liner.

Ill wrap the tray and sail panels in black leather and it should look nice and save some $$$ too since i already have just about everything to do it.

got a few little other odds and end on the interior to finish up before I can call the interior done enough to move onto the next phase.

I have a thread up right now with a list of some of the odds and ends i need for the duster still if anyone has some parts laying around, check out that thread and see if i need something you have.

thanks again guys for hanging in and checking out my thread from time to time.

the good comments makes the pay off feel that much better!

18 pages into the resto and more to come so stay tuned!

P.S. for those of you who missed it....there are alot of recent interior pictures and updates on the last page or 2 of this thread.

got all my seat belts cleaned up and installed ( still need to see some pictures of other dusters and demons so i know exactly where to place my shoulder belt retainer clamps) other wise,belts are installed and done.

I either lost or never had my two rear center belts (latch belts) because I cant find them.....so it looks like I need to hunt some down.

got one rear door panel installed before I decided to call it a night.

more updates to come!

looks nice,

like your cup holder, looks inexpensive but very functional.
I've read that those headliners can be a ***** :p

was the original glove box liner a silly cardboard thing like mine? I hope to see you make a better one...

keep it up and do throw something beside dirt on that nice carpet, its getting dirty...

no desire to paint that rearview mirror black? looks to stick out against all the other black.

no desire to paint that rearview mirror black? looks to stick out against all the other black.

yeah its just a cheap cup holder I had sitting around but the base is wrapped in leather so it "looks" like it fits the car.

I am going to make a custom center console some day so it will do for now.

as for the carpet getting dirty......yeah yeah yeah, I know lol.

I am going to get some floor mats and put down to keep the dirty off everything ( bad thing about black is it shows all dirt).

as for the rear view mirror. Thats how it was factory so I left it.

I might paint it black eventually but it actually looks pretty nice in person.

and the glove box.....someone removed it before I got it but yes it would have been the junk cardboard set up.

I havent decided how I am going to go about it yet, I will either make a new one out of some durable plastic or a sheet of aluminum or maybe some galvanized steel ( I think i already have some so this may be what I end up doing) then I will just line the box with black leather or velvet or something so it doesnt just look like a metal box in there.

Ill make it look good though....I like messing around with little detail things like that lol

yeah its just a cheap cup holder I had sitting around but the base is wrapped in leather so it "looks" like it fits the car.

I am going to make a custom center console some day so it will do for now.

as for the carpet getting dirty......yeah yeah yeah, I know lol.

I am going to get some floor mats and put down to keep the dirty off everything ( bad thing about black is it shows all dirt).

as for the rear view mirror. Thats how it was factory so I left it.

I might paint it black eventually but it actually looks pretty nice in person.

and the glove box.....someone removed it before I got it but yes it would have been the junk cardboard set up.

I havent decided how I am going to go about it yet, I will either make a new one out of some durable plastic or a sheet of aluminum or maybe some galvanized steel ( I think i already have some so this may be what I end up doing) then I will just line the box with black leather or velvet or something so it doesnt just look like a metal box in there.

Ill make it look good though....I like messing around with little detail things like that lol

Coming out really nice! I recently replaced my glove box, light, and lens. I ended up buying a reproduction cardboard one for I think 13 bucks. Let us know how yours turns out.

will do!

not sure how soon I will get to it because I have a few other areas of the interior I need to button up first but when I do I will be sure to post it.

sorry for not updating in a couple days.

Had to do trick or treating with my family.

And it has been cold ( they are talking snow this weekend!!!!! awwww man lol)

and the biggest thing is.....I cant finish wrapping the interior up until I come up with a few needed parts.

check out my list of parts I still need over at this thread http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=118669

and give a rear through the list and let me know if you have anything.

I have bumped the thread a few times but still have not had many bites.

sorry for not doing any updates in a bit everyone...but....there isnt anything to update lol.

its getting cold here in MI and money is tight with holidays coming so I havent really messed with the duster.

but as soon as I do I will keep you all up to date!

in the mean time, feel free to browse through my thread and let me know what you think of the build so far!

Looking good keep up the work. Gives me something to look at while in the box and steal some ideas :)

Looking good keep up the work. Gives me something to look at while in the box and steal some ideas :)

steal away LOL ....thats why I post pictures and info up is to share with everyone some of the things I have done so maybe others might be able to take a few ideas from it and apply it with a project of there own.

thanks again

-
Back