72 Duster Hood Question

-

maz72

Reaction score
I know from an expert that a 70 and a 71 Duster hood are identical and fit both of those cars but will not work on a 72 because they are not adjustable at the hinge area. I would have to change out the hinges on my 72 to make a 70 or 71 work.
What I need is for someone to give me a pic of a 72 hood hinge area and someone who has a 71 hood to do the same and educate me as to what I am looking for. I have a line on a hood for my 72 but I am not sure what I would be looking for when I inspect it. Owner of the hood not sure what year it came off of.Thanks.

I am quite sure I swapped a 72 hood onto my 70 duster many years ago. I don't rember any hinge area differences? Maybe someone else can comment.

I am far from an expert, but I have played one on TV. lol. It was my understanding that what you are saying is correct. I have both a 70-71 hood and hinges and a 72 hood and hinges. Unfortunately I am on a 12 hour night shift and should not be on this forum due to pile of things that need to be done around the house much less the time to photo those items right now. There are a few on here who could answer this and hopefully they will chime in, If you are still in need of an answer by the three day weekend, I will try and photo for you.

I have a '70 hood on '74 hinges with no issues. From what I can remember on the '70 hood it has a piece of metal that slides inside the hood that the bolts thread into. The holes in the hinges are fixed (diameter of the bolt) and the pieces of metal inside the hood allow for the adjustment. On the '74 hood the hole that the bolt threads into is fixed and the hinges have slots to allow for the adjustment. It's been a while since I've put the hood on so I don't remember exactly how it worked but I know I didn't change hinges.

"Cascius" is correct, the 70 hood is adjustable in the hood itself with sliding ancores and the 72' hood is adjustable from the sloted hood hinges. I just put a 72 hood ( with scoop) on my 71 duster, and luckily it fell right into adjustment so I did not have to modify my hinges.(slot them)

Appears then I should not have a problem. My 72 hinges are slotted for adjustment and the 71 hood is adjustable with sliding nuts inside the hood.
Looks like I proceed with the purchase of the 71 hood.

-
Back