72 Duster Resto/Road

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just wanted to put up a few shots of my Brother in laws 72 Duster that is part Restoration and part Road racer. The plans for the car from the start have been to make it a clean looking, factory appearing street car that will have a suspension geared towards cornering rather than the dragstrip.

Attachments

• DSCN1615.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 125
We found the car through a friend in 2007. It was a "Gold Duster" model with a slanty, a 3 speed on the tree, 4 wheel drum brakes and A/C. The original color was tan with a tan interior. The car had rust in the taillight panel around the light pockets, the spare tire recess was pitted heavily and both lower quarters were rusted through.
I replaced all of the rusted areas with used and reproduction metal. The hood, fenders, trunklid and glass is original. The floors were fine but had some scale, so we wire wheeled them and laid down some POR-15.
Jeff liked the Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat so I sprayed it with 3 coats of Omni base coat followed by 4 coats of PPG clear. The blackout proved to be the most difficult part of the paintwork.

Attachments

• DSCN1610.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 113
The original plan was to spray base black with a matte clear over it. The first attempt met with tiger stripes from technique. I was not aware that matte finishes are to be sprayed with an up to 90% overlap! I sprayed it at the usual 50% and it had a strobe effect of matte/shiny/matte/shiny. I sanded it and tried again with another brand of matte clear, thinking it was the product not the painter. The second time looked slightly better but still not good enough. I asked around and found out that I was the problem. I mixed yet another batch and tried again.... Only to have specs of dust and bugs fall onto the hood and cowl. matte finishes can't be cut and buffed, so I decided to cut the losses and spray it gloss.
Jeff didn't care. As it turned out, he likes the gloss better.

Attachments

• DSCN1616.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 131
Jeff didn't like the 72 design side markers, so I welded them over.

Attachments

• DSCN1613.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 138
He is going with the flip top gas cap using the adapter that I first saw HERE!
Also, Jeff liked the idea of doing something different with the taillight panel. I welded over the lock hole after we designed a lever and pull cable to open the latch. We used a cable and lever from a Subaru Legacy wagon.

Attachments

• DSCN1612.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 112
The 72 Duster 340 had a decal on the taillight panel that spanned almost the entire panel. We liked the design used on the Demon models, so I masked and painted it to look like a mix of the two. The idea was to look like something that could have been stock. We have a decal that will be affixed in between the lights. It is the "Duster" tornado with the 2 eyes inside it.

Attachments

• DSCN1619.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 139
The sides will get the unique AAR style stripes from Challenger Gary. The price is great and Jeff likes the look.
As with the rest of the car, the goal was to make subtle changes that look like they could have been stock.

Attachments

• DSCN1614.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 111
The car is now a 360 4 barrel with a rebuilt 904.
Jeff has been lucky to have access to my ever changing parts stash and benefited from a B body 8 3/4 axle with a 3.91 SG. The front drums were scrapped in favor of 11" discs from an Aspen/Volare/5th Ave/Gran Fury....
Mechanically, the car is sound.
The interior is still a little rough though...

Attachments

• DSCN1618.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 130
We have door panels, A pillar covers and other things, but still need carpet and a package tray.
Check out that D A S H P A D !!

Attachments

• DSCN1617.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 117
Thanks! I did the blackout for the first time on this car...

Attachments

• IMG_3135.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 104
-
Back