72 Duster Sharktooth grill to fit on a 70 Duster possible?

-

David D Schnelker

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know If I can put a sharktooth grill from a 71-72 Duster on a 70 Duster? Has anyone done that? Is it a mortal sin? LOL. It's only a $100 more than the standard grill. Looks like I could reuse the headlight bezels.

Per Classic Industries it will fit into a 70 Duster but will not be factory correct. and to you're question about if its a sin who cares, its you're car and the grille looks awesome. I would like to put one in my 71 scamp when I can swing the price.
LOL. Thank you for the info and the link. I think that scamp would look killer with that grill. Yours is the purple/ white top? Very clean.

Yep, been there , had that...70 with Sharktooth!

received_239443890034914.jpeg

Yep. They all fit.70-72. And, thank you! Was my ex girlfriend's car that we both built .
Thanks for the info bro - You both did a great job. I hope this one turns out half that good - I already bought a gallon of metallic silver paint, and I've already started painting. So, the grill might not stand out that much - But I'm gonna do it anyway. The old grill was black and I was gonna keep it that way, but I accidentally dropped it today and that was that. After 50 years cooking in the So-Cal High Desert; It was already very fragile to say the least. Heh, heh. I saw the sharktooth grill while shopping this evening and my thoughts began to wander. Appreciate it man. You're a big help.

I put a repop grille in last summer. It's not correct for my car but I like it.

1716895573033.jpeg

You just missed the 20% off sale through Classic industries!
Heh, Heh... That figures - story of my life. I don't know why it is: but I got a slightly better deal buying from classic industries through ebay. I just got the grill, lense covers, and those little clips along the bottom of the grill. I work at a auto parts store and I'm hope to get the pigtails for the blinker lights in-house and save a few mor bucks. $767 and some change Classic industries web site would've been $10 more. It took me 20 minutes of back-n-forth on the internet last night to save the $10 bones, but I'll take it. I guestimate this cost me about $200 more than just replacing the stock grill and re-using the old lens covers.

20240528_113537.jpg

20240528_113842.jpg

good morning, i also have a question about compatibility with the shark tooth grill. Will it fit into a 73 Duster without modification... im trying to install one now and the turn signal pigtail housing is hitting the radiator wall support (not sure what you call it)....

good morning, i also have a question about compatibility with the shark tooth grill. Will it fit into a 73 Duster without modification... im trying to install one now and the turn signal pigtail housing is hitting the radiator wall support (not sure what you call it)....
Mine doesn't require alterations to fit into a 70'... other than the 70' turn signal sockets won't fit into a sharktooth grill. And the 73's have that little point in the center grill/bumber/upper vallance. Not sure how far you'll have to go w/alterations to make it fit. I think if that's all you have to change/ you're very lucky you didn't have to change the grill supports or anything like that. Sorry that I cannot be more helpful. Chryslers are strange animals. I hope to see a pic after you get it together. Good luck mad dog.

The 1973 and later models are different. The hood, grille, bumper, valance, hood latch support are all different and nothing 1970-72 fits unless you change everything.

sorry guys i forgot to add that i converted my 73 into a 70-71 model, changed everything except the radiator opening support... should the sharktooth grill fit with no modfications?

sorry guys i forgot to add that i converted my 73 into a 70-71 model, changed everything except the radiator opening support... should the sharktooth grill fit with no modfications?
I think you're officially in uncharted territory on this one bro. But it sounds like you're very close to finished now. Can't you just cut out the two places where it hits? A hole saw makes a nice clean opening. Thats' how did my headlight buckets on my Satellite so it would accept those aftermarket "halo" headlights. It looks like the car came that way. Maybe you could do that. You know the one I mean - the hole saw for a drill. Could be anything from 1/2 inch, to 3,4,5 inch etc. Just a thought - I'm no fabricator. Would love to see a pic when you got it done. Good luck bro. I think you got this.

I converted the "FrankenDuster". It was a 1974 dressed to look like a 1971.

1.JPG

4.JPG

D5.jpg

D6.jpg

If a standard grille fits, a Shark Tooth one would too.

Drop a 350 in so when you pop the hood, they'll forget about the mortal sin of a sharktooth grille being on a 70 Duster.

how bout i drop in a 340 and you can keep your negative unhelpful opinions to yourself, thanks ..Rich

I converted the "FrankenDuster". It was a 1974 dressed to look like a 1971.

View attachment 1716291939

View attachment 1716291940

View attachment 1716291941

View attachment 1716291942

If a standard grille fits, a Shark

Drop a 350 in so when you pop the hood, they'll forget about the mortal sin of a sharktooth grille being on a 70 Duster.
Pretty sure he's got a 73' not a 70'. I could be wrong but I think it's a 73' or 74' And I don't think Chrysler ever made a 350 as you said to "drop in a 350". I could be wrong, but I don't think so. And I know at least 3 other cats here @ A-bodies only, who have put a shark tooth grill on their 70' Dusters, including myself. So, including Mad Dog, that makes at least 5 of us that are changing the look of their cars. And there's a lot more on the internet who did it too. It seems to be a very popular mod for a Duster. I changed the original 225 to a 360 and have a cowl induction hood. Cowl induction hoods were originally designed for GM. I'm committing all kinds of sins. LOL Heck! My bio pic is a B body, and it has a cobra hood scoop. Something that Dodge is copying on their newest challenger/durango/hornet models right now. LOL I don't think anyone really cares bro. We all try to be supportive of each other here. It's all good.

satellite.jpg

To me the biggest sin on 1970 340 dusters is putting the 71 340 side stripes on them with the 340 on the rear quarters.
I much prefer the factory 70 340 stripes. Not as gaudy and one year only.
Swapping grills is much less of a sin…lol

-
Back