72 Duster Trunk Carpet Template

-

ninoshrv

Reaction score
Hello all...I am wanting to put carpet in the trunk of my Duster. What is a good way to make a template so that I can use it to base the cuts of the carpet off of??? Thanks for any input. I'm pretty good at doing my engine work and everything else, but carpet freaks me out...lol

I take it you don't have the orignal trunk mat? Try to find some heavy
paper or light duty cardboard. Use it in parts to go around the curves.
Put the pieces together and lay it out over the carpet.
It has worked for me. Good luck.

I take it you don't have the orignal trunk mat? Try to find some heavy
paper or light duty cardboard. Use it in parts to go around the curves.
Put the pieces together and lay it out over the carpet.
It has worked for me. Good luck.

Thansk brian...and yea..the original trunk mat was not in the car when i began the restoration process

I had a 73 Duster in my "much" younger years...(leave it at that) anyways it was a fold down back seat space maker. It had carpet from the factory in the trunk, and the cardboard inserts that covered the inner quarter panels that they used to cover the fenders and give you the look of a finished trunk, and finished inner trunk valance. Most people dont even know about those pieces. They usually throw in a mat or piece of carpet and let it go. In August of last year I picked up a 73 Duster identicle to the one I had years ago. It had nothing but an empty bare steel trunk. So I found the inner cardboard pieces at "Jims Auto Parts" online and went to Home Depot and bought I think aprox 7 yards of Black Marine Short Pile carpet with rubber backing. I cut the piece to fit the trunk floor first, then I cut individually left & right side over each tire well. They are almost triangular. If your real skiddish about cutting good carpet, go by some real, real... cheap fake fur, carpet, or heavy upholstry material and experiment. Make those your templates, then get the good stuff, always cut the good stuff a little larger then your template. Easier to remove then add... Here's some Pics of how my trunk turned out.. Excuse the jack.. the person I got the car from welded the foot to it and I haven't replaced it yet.. Hope this helps! All the best in your project........

Attachments

• Duster 25.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 260
  • Duster 28.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 219
  • Duster 29.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 208
I had a 73 Duster in my "much" younger years...(leave it at that) anyways it was a fold down back seat space maker. It had carpet from the factory in the trunk, and the cardboard inserts that covered the inner quarter panels that they used to cover the fenders and give you the look of a finished trunk, and finished inner trunk valance. Most people dont even know about those pieces. They usually throw in a mat or piece of carpet and let it go. In August of last year I picked up a 73 Duster identicle to the one I had years ago. It had nothing but an empty bare steel trunk. So I found the inner cardboard pieces at "Jims Auto Parts" online and went to Home Depot and bought I think aprox 7 yards of Black Marine Short Pile carpet with rubber backing. I cut the piece to fit the trunk floor first, then I cut individually left & right side over each tire well. They are almost triangular. If your real skiddish about cutting good carpet, go by some real, real... cheap fake fur, carpet, or heavy upholstry material and experiment. Make those your templates, then get the good stuff, always cut the good stuff a little larger then your template. Easier to remove then add... Here's some Pics of how my trunk turned out.. Excuse the jack.. the person I got the car from welded the foot to it and I haven't replaced it yet.. Hope this helps! All the best in your project........

Thanks for that info. I'm going to look up Jims Auto Parts online as we speak

Hey there Ninoshrv.. thought I would give ya some direction on the Jims Auto Parts website .. Go to their Dodge, Plymouth resto page, go down and click on "Trunk Parts and Components", scroll on down to "Fold Down Seat Trunk Kit" 3 pcs. Part #DS-T381 cost of $64.95 (for all three) + whatever there shipping and handling is.. If you refer back to the pictures above you can get a good idea of how they are supposed to look. I can tell you the drivers side for the gas tank tube, you might have to trim the circle in a few places to make it fit good.. The quarter panel pieces all fold out to lock under the trunk rim. The rear valance has to be bent at almost 3 different places. It has to be put and fitted last to the other two.. Good Luck...

-
Back