72 Scamp Disc brake conversion?

-

jasonhensley

Reaction score
I am considering a disc brake conversion on my 72 Scamp. Did they make disc brakes for small bolt pattern in 72? Can I convert without going to large bolt pattern? If so what year and make will work? I have 78 Aspen front brake set up but have been told they won't work. Help! What would you do?:prayer:

Yes the Kelsey Hayes disc brakes came a bodies up to 72 they are small bolt pattern and would be a bolt on application

So the 78 Aspen set up (large bolt patteren) is out of the question? thanks again:newb:

Nothing at all wrong with the '78 Aspen brakes, they'll work just fine. They are big bolt pattern though, so you'd need new front rims. And you'll either need a set of large ball joint upper control arms ('73+), or a set of adaptors from Dr. Diff to get the LBJ spindles the Aspen came with to work for you. With LBJ UCA's or the adaptors those brakes will bolt on.

The Kelsey Hayes set up is pretty much the only way to keep the small bolt pattern and still go to disks though.

ABS makes a kit, small bolt pattern. uses drum spindle, swap in an afternoon. its in the new classic mopar catalog. but you will save cash going direct thru abs. they are pretty local to me so i just pick it up

65 to 72 cars used the small bolt pattern Kelsey Hayes, 4 piston disc brake systems.
Here's a picture of what everything looks like, all rebuilt.

Attachments

• Kelsey Hayes Spare Parts 001 (Copy) (Copy) (Copy).JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 520
I put the scarebird disk brakes on my scamp. It used the stock hub and spindles and use a couple different components for the brakes. They work good and you geto keep the 4" bolt pattern. Craig

-
Back