'72 Scamp

-

slotto

Bolt Turner
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My sister has quite a collection of Mopars in her possession. She thought it was time to thin out the herd. She called and asked if I would like to take on a '72 Scamp. I told her I would have to run it by the wife first but I would love to have it. This would be my first attempt at a restore and I am green in all aspects. This is gonna be a challenge. I hope I can get some guidance from you guys. I've always been a car fan but I never knew I was a Mopar guy until I saw the pics she sent me.
0210131425.jpg

0210131425b.jpg

0210131425a.jpg

0210131426.jpg

0210131426c.jpg

stay tuned

Welcome Aboard! Lot's of help in here, If you don't find it, just ask! Tons of help! My first restoration as well!

Welcome there are a few good scamp builds here. Check out mine link in sig and Scampin' thats another good one by Varlo. Whats the direction of this?

Thanks guys! I'm still waiting for delivery. :(
Soon I hope.

I've been waiting since Feb. Looks like later this month Ugly Betty will be home!
I can't wait!
Here's some video clips...

[ame="http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff513/slotto1/scamp/02Oct13/engine.mp4"]
th_engine.jpg
[/ame]

[ame="http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff513/slotto1/scamp/02Oct13/ride.mp4"]
th_ride.jpg
[/ame]

ride.mp4.html

Looks good. Welcome to the `money-spenders' club. I'm just getting started on my '72 as well. Nice simple projects. Have fun, when you finally do get it.

I took off work on Friday and cleaned the garage, She will be arriving later in the afternoon.

She showed up around 3:30 in the afternoon and refused to start and had to be pushed in to her new home.

The 225 was running prior to delivery -the thought is bad gas. No matter, it will be removed -eventually.

The prior owner had trouble with the ignition and swapped out the column and installed a push button. WHAT?!?!?

Wonder what is going on under that carpet.

I plan to attack some of the body work. Here's a good starting point.
This is going to be a journey -I haven't a clue what I'm doing here.

Stay Tuned...

Awesome. Prepare to enjoy, learn, curse, forgive, hate, love and above all enjoy the pride in the fact that you did it!

Thanks gdrill,
Friday evening I was wondering - What have I just done by buying this thing.
But after a little work, by Saturday evening I was more than stoked.
As stated in the previous post, I wanted to start out back.

Cart before the horse here... I just had to see how my newly acquired old plates looked.

To get the drivers side fender piece off I had to remove the bumper. Everything was going great until the bottom left bolt kept spinning. The nut rusted itself to the bolt.

I removed the lens cover to see what was going on and couldn't help but notice how clean it was inside the light unit. Like new. I soaked the nut with some penetrating spray. (this is gonna be my favorite tool) And minutes later I got it loose.

Now on to the lower valance.

One broken bolt later and...

While in the trunk, I took off the side markers.
After this, the warden called me in.

I got a couple questions for you guys.
Is it too far gone?
and Is this something that an unskilled bolt turner can bring back?
Stay Tuned...

I'll level with ya. I see 2 new quarters at least the lowers, most likely inner as well. The tail panel if you can sandblast it see what you got. BAG AND TAG EVERYTHING I cant stress that one enough. Rust will be a killer in this. I urge you to check out my build Ive done all this. Like you it was my first time rebuilding a car.

Thanks ScampTramp, Ill definitely check out your thread. I also began to bag-n-tag. It takes little time and it will save you a big headache later on. Great advice!

Today I took a wire brush to the back and knock off some of that bondo. Deck lid is in pretty bad shape along the inner seam behind the trim.

Plenty of daylight in the trunk and under the spare tire. Original column and spare drive shaft and tank in the trunk.

Rear lower quarter is gone as well as the inner. Gonna have to cut and weld on a new piece. And a bondo bubble over the rear wheel.

Front quarter and rocker in really good shape.

Also was able to remove the trim and front marker from the drivers side.

Stay tuned...

If you got an air compressor Harbor freight sells a blaster for like $25 its slow but works. I use Black Blast from Hardware store. Sandblasting will be the best way to see just how much rust is there. I dont know the direction or how much you have for build but finding that out first would give you a good idea of what your up against

I was able to get some therapy tonite. First I got after some of that rust out back. Coated it with some LocTite Extend.

While that dried, I opened up the cabin and removed the bench. The original carpet color was green. Huh, who knew.

After peeling up the baaaaaadly stained carpet, I found the birth certificate.

The floor isn't that bad. Some surface rust under the very damp carpet and padding on the drivers side, and found a patch that was riveted in place on the pass side.

After vacuuming up all the mess, I look up and see a safe! I open the door and found it packed with some old leaves.

Stay Tuned...

Good luck...sorry the "safe" wasn't full of hundreds...alot of them have leaves. Who would keep those? Lol

Nice find, and welcome. Reference everything! Have one ,myself. You are in ,for a long ride.

It's in better shape then a lot of them, I had to replace both front floors and the drivers side rear in my scamp.

Thanks for checking out my thread guys!

Excited about my find, I wanted to learn more about my Scamp. I did more research on the web. Now I understand the build sheet. I thought it would tell more about the vehicle like original outside color and interior. Later i found out some of this information is located on the data tag on the inner fender. I jumped up to go check it out and...

it is not there! Dang it!

On Sunday morning the warden let me go out and do a little more. Here you see the 2nd coat of Extend. While that dried...

I hand sanded the upper rear fender and primered. I used Rustoleum etching primer. The last pic looks like there is 2 gouges in the paint. These are not there. This must be some shadowing or reflection.

While that dried, I wire brushed the entire floor and coated with a healthy dose of primer. The patch on the pass side looked good so I'm not gonna mess with it. When I can get under it, I'll hit the underside with some undercoating.

I don't have a lot of bucks for this car. I just want to clean it up so I can do some cruising. A simple survivor car look, maybe some Cragars. Nothing special. If I had the cash, I would go all out G-Machine.
Stay Tuned...

I did my whole car with a $15 dollar HF orbital sander 5" On Ebay you can buy boxes of discs for like $10-$15 bucks. HF also sells packs as well. What are you using for primer rattle can?

-
Back