72 steering box

-

lilhows340

Reaction score
Hey all who read this
Having issue with my 72 Demon. I have a 2537349 manual steering box, new pitman arm which I checked same as one I removed. I centered box installed arm and it is offset to right. I have to have tie rod ends all the way in on one side and out on other to get wheels straight. On center knuckle is not center front to back but offset to right.
Also, maybe motor mount problem, but center link hits oil pan and pitman arm bolt hits starter.
thanks for any help
Jeff

Have you double checked that the drag link isn't installed upside down/backward?.....don't ask ;)

If anyone has there car available to see if when the steering is centered is the ball stud directly behind steering shaft or offset to right side.
Thanks Jeff

I had a box that someone hit a curb hard and twisted the pitman shaft or the input shaft.
aligned and could not get the wheel straight, same thing all the way in on one side all the way out on the other. Changed the gear box and fixed the problem, so something is bent.

i’ll Check. What was changed? Is this a fresh build or just a steering box swap?

I don’t know if these help or not . The pitman arm stud is a lot father from the starter than it appears in the photo Mini starter though...and power steering box
CCC8E4FE-0CC9-4F8B-BCE9-8DC2B62CA0E6.jpeg
68A47086-FE74-4775-A2DB-C39CEB1F56B9.jpeg

Thanks Burl. All looks the same as mine. Headers in they way to get the angle I was looking for.
Jeff

-
Back