72 Swinger disc kit availability.

-

motodad

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 72 Swinger,318 auto, A/C, PS, 10" drum brakes. 14"x 4" Rally's, w/ 3.75" backspacing. Does anyone know of a front Disc conversion kit that will work with the wheels I have? Got a no go from a few sources, and asking the A-Body peeps for any insight. Thanks.

off the top of my head i think that SSBC might be the only folks who make a SBP kit that fits 14" wheels

in the notes they have a caveat: will work with some 14" and most 15" wheels, but they provide a spec chart. if your rallye wheels are original it's likely they'll fit, but if they're after market it's 50/50 on that.

The factory SBP rally's are 14 X 5 1/2". The stock Kelsey Hayes brakes work just fine with those.

Sounds like a job for the stock 72-and-earlier Kelsey Hayes front disc setup, which had SBP hubs. I'm sure you'd be able to collect all the parts for less than the price of a fancy new aftermarket setup.

I have the original KH setup on my 72 swinger - no power booster and a 1" bore Master Cylinder. I'm always amazed at how great those original brakes work.

I used SSBC on my '71 Dart GT (formerly with 10" drums) using 5 on 4" small bolt pattern 14" X 5 1/2" factory Rallye wheels. Be aware the front track width increases by 3/8" per side (if I remember correctly).

The 14" X 5 1/2" factory STEEL wheels did NOT fit my car (I wanted to go body color steel wheels with red line dog dish caps).

Ask me about PSC Liver Disease

IMG_9474.jpg

I have the original KH setup on my 72 swinger - no power booster and a 1" bore Master Cylinder. I'm always amazed at how great those original brakes work.
Agreed. Have them in my Ragtop. 1" bore size gives you a real hard pedal. I've contemplated try the 15/16" bore MC to soften it up a smidge.

@hemi71x occasionally sells sets of KH brakes. If not he can give you some great advice.​

Like @DartGTDan said above. You'll probably want to look for a 15/16" bore MC for a better feel/less effort braking if you go manual on this. If you decide to put in a power booster, you'll want the 1" bore MC.

-
Back