727 Assembly.....got some parts left over.....

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

tried to assemble my 727 trans this evening. Everything went together smooth, but now i have three sealing rings left over...and i´m pretty worried about. I got a sealing ring kit via bulkparts, the left over sealing rings are like these on the input shaft or at the rear of the pump.....two are the same, teflon or sth., around 1,22" diameter. The single one is iron, locking, 1.89" diameter.

Anybody knows if sometimes these kits do include more seals than necessary? maybe for other years, models etc......don´t know.

I did check the front and rear clutch with compressed air, they engaged and released as expected. There was a slight leak somewhere, don´t know if it´s normal or if this must be totally sealed when tested with air?

Don´t want to do it all backwards....please let me know what you think.

Michael

depending on year, chrysler used different rings on the inputshaft. the two on the stator wont go any where else and your not using any on the govenor. they probbly gave you a ring kit that seviced all years. if your not sure, fit the ring in its bore to be sure your using the right one. depending on how much air your using, you may get a little leakage.

Most kits come with a couple extra sealing rings that cover different yrs. I imagine it's cheaper to package 1 sealing ring kit with all seals rather than have 2 different kits taking up space on the shelves. It's normal to get a little air leaking because air will leak past rings pretty easy. The main idea when you pressure test is to make sure everything kicks in good and solid and you don't have a huge air leak

Ok, for the peace of mind i disassembled it today....everythings there where it belongs...

by the way, the ext. Housing bushing goes in with the oil hole upwards?

michael

Ok, for the peace of mind i disassembled it today....everythings there where it belongs...

by the way, the ext. Housing bushing goes in with the oil hole upwards?

michael
yes, if you lookin from the seal side there is a slot at the top of the housing. align the bushing with that. it splashes lub to the yoke. so, did it go back together easier the second time?

lol.....no, with everything lubed up with petroleum jelly it was a mess....:D But i think it´s ok, if i ever do a trans again i´ll make a check list.

Thanks for the info regarding the bushing!

Michael

oh, iam sure you'll be into it again! just a part of racing. the more you can do yourself saves money for the other cool stuff you want.

Glad to hear Michel that it is going back together!! Sorry I missed your call earlier but I was knee deep in my own project and forgot to call you back.

-
Back