727 Build for Mid-10s

-
I finally got a preliminary end play measure. I've got .063" of input shaft end play with a .063" shim between drums, .085" shim behind the pump, and .065" copper washer between input/output shafts.

What's the best way to get my end play down to closer to .020"? If I go with a thick .102" washer behind the pump, that puts me at .046" Is that close enough, or should I use a thicker washer between drums as well?

U can use a thicker washer both places. Just make sure u have good engagement when putting it together. I like to have some depth between the lugs on the front drum and the sun shell. Kim

Are you using a gasket? Using the 102 behind the pump and the 85 between the drums will get you down to around .020 which I like.

Are you using a gasket? Using the 102 behind the pump and the 85 between the drums will get you down to around .020 which I like.

Yes, the pump gasket was in place. I'll move the .085" between the drums, and use the .102" at the pump. That should put me at .024" input shaft end play. Thanks guys. I was just curious if a thicker washer between drums could negatively effect clutch spline engagement. I guess that's no problem. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I finally got this ***** buttoned up. For parts, I ended up with an Ultimate sprag, billet steel front drum, steel front planetary, alto clutches, kolene steels, new solid bands - red in front, kevlar in rear, CRT low band apply reverse manual valve body, 4.2 kickdown lever w/ hd strut, billet rear servo, accumulator blocker rod w/o spring. It's probably overkill for what I'm doing with it, but I don't want any of it entering the driver's compartment.

Gear train end play is .017", input shaft end play ended up at .022", front clutch clearance is .082", rear clutch clearance is .035", both bands are set at 2 turns from 72 in-lbs. Everything air checked fine - hopefully it works. LOL

upload_2020-5-3_8-11-20.png

I know this is an old thread but it's valuable & pertinent. I'm getting ready in a couple weeks to tackle my trans, I have 3 trans to choose from.
I noticed that there are alot of clearances noted in the thread. What are the critical clearances ?
How do you figure out what is correct?
Should I measure my parts when I pull them out ?
I will pick up the books available to get a little grasp, mechanically speaking I'm capable, just need more info on the technical parts, since I will be replacing a few parts that could chop my foot off

Get , if you don’t have, a FSM to get familiarized, and it is all you need (for how) to do a standard oem type rebuild, read the trans section as often as you can stand. Get the Carl Munroe book for more in depth details. Those two books and the added input here IMO are all you will need to rebuild yourself a great trans.
7F6B4827-C6EA-4551-B757-1F851226418C.jpeg

Get , if you don’t have, a FSM to get familiarized, and it is all you need (for how) to do a standard oem type rebuild, read the trans section as often as you can stand. Get the Carl Munroe book for more in depth details. Those two books and the added input here IMO are all you will need to rebuild yourself a great trans. View attachment 1715905139
Thank you very much

-
Back