727 concerns

-

THE STEVE

"part-time wheelman"
Reaction score
i have a 727 in my 72 duster. the engine is a 360 with a 480 lift cam 292 duration. the trans shifted great, it had a stock converter in it. i installed a b&m 2200 stall. and also added a edelbrock victor intake. the new intake sits a tiny bit higher than my old streetmaster intake. i installed everything just as it was when i took it off. the throttle pressure linkage feels pretty good. when you pull the throttle all the way open you can still push on the rod about a 1/4 inch. thats how it was before. the trans has plenty of fluid. i went to drive it just now. i only had open headers. on the road it drives ok but it seems like its slipping. it doesnt seem to have the get up and go it had before. i understand that a stall will take alittle away from it but its only a 2200 stall. anything i should look for? or be concerned about? i havent tried manually shifting it yet. i need to adjust my shifter. also, the timing has just been set to where it wouldrun, i havent really tuned it in to 36 degrees total advance. it has the conversion gm hei dist on it. all in all the car just seems slower now.

did you drive it before with the open headers? the noise makes it seem like you're not going as fast because you're not it's just making more noise. put the exhaust back on and try it.

Re-adjust the throttle rod for the trans. When the carb is at full throttle, wide open, the trans kickdown should be at max. Not 1/4 inch left in it. That is your pressure adjustment and it needs to be maxed out when you are full throttle. It is an easy adjustment. Let us know how it does.

ok thanks guys! yeah i got to thinking about it last night and the rpms werent as high as i thought they were. i will adjust my throttle pressure today. later on the car is finally getting exhaust. then ill see how it does.

-
Back