727 converter choice

-

Canucklehead

Reaction score
I have an M-code GTS that I’m building an engine for, and I’m trying to figure out a decent torque converter. The engine is a 69 440 HP, factory steel crank and connecting rods, KB237 .030 pistons with Stealth heads, Mopar Performance .528/284* camshaft, roller rockers, aluminum water pump and housing, CH4B intake, AVS2 800 CFM, 3.55 gears with a Tru-trac locker. The twist is I’m keeping the original M-code manifolds. It should all look stock but have a bit more grunt, and it’s not an all out effort, just something fun. I’m curious what people use for a converter with the .528 solid. Lots of lift but reasonable duration, [email protected]. I’m not looking for something super loose, just something that will let it idle decent.

I think factory is 11". I swapped my (used to have) 71 charger with a 10" 2600 stall with 4.10 gear 383 engine. Great light to light. Not great on the highway.

10” Trans Specialties converter from A&A transmission. Call A&A, talk to Nick or Rick, they will help you decide on a target stall speed for what your doing, and the converter will suit you well. No doubt about it.

I think factory is 11". I swapped my (used to have) 71 charger with a 10" 2600 stall with 4.10 gear 383 engine. Great light to light. Not great on the highway.
The nearest race track is 4 hours away so my main concern would be getting it to the track rather than ET. I installed a factory high stall when I built the transmission, are they loose enough for a .528?

3500-4000 no less or it will be a real pooch with that cam. Low stall 2600's come in plow trucks. Are you Plowing snow? You want the converter to lock at the rpm the cam starts working. So if the cam works from 3500 and up don't go lower.

We had a charger come in here with a 2600. He couldn't spin two factory 14 inch spares with 410's. Ran 14.98 . After installing a 3500 it ran 1350's fighting for traction on the start with 275 15 good years radials.

Last edited:
The nearest race track is 4 hours away so my main concern would be getting it to the track rather than ET. I installed a factory high stall when I built the transmission, are they loose enough for a .528?

Guy I just built a trans for got a 3400-3800 stall converter from A&A for his dart. Brought the car to life and he loves it.

After doing research myself i went with a FTI 9.5".. they had great reviews and one of the best prices for converters.. i think you can spec 3000-3600 on that one..

A 3500 installed in a small block with an old style 471 purple shaft stalled at 3200. same converter in a big block with the same cam profile stalled a 3900. every engine will be different due to compression and cubes that determines the torque of the engine.

Graham, I called Paul and left messages Monday to Friday for 2 weeks b4 he called me back. That was even after I asked u to call him to get back to me. Maybe u did or didn’t call him I’m not sure. I bought a few converters from Brian Tuck back in the day as he got his converters from TCS. I haven’t bought anything from TCS since 2016. I still recommend them to other ppl as they make good converters. Kim

I have an M-code GTS that I’m building an engine for, and I’m trying to figure out a decent torque converter. The engine is a 69 440 HP, factory steel crank and connecting rods, KB237 .030 pistons with Stealth heads, Mopar Performance .528/284* camshaft, roller rockers, aluminum water pump and housing, CH4B intake, AVS2 800 CFM, 3.55 gears with a Tru-trac locker. The twist is I’m keeping the original M-code manifolds. It should all look stock but have a bit more grunt, and it’s not an all out effort, just something fun. I’m curious what people use for a converter with the .528 solid. Lots of lift but reasonable duration, [email protected]. I’m not looking for something super loose, just something that will let it idle decent.
The MP .528 is [email protected] on a 112. I think I'd go for something like a tight 3200-3600. It'll still cruise around town stock, but flare nicely when you do a hard launch.

Graham, I called Paul and left messages Monday to Friday for 2 weeks b4 he called me back. That was even after I asked u to call him to get back to me. Maybe u did or didn’t call him I’m not sure. I bought a few converters from Brian Tuck back in the day as he got his converters from TCS. I haven’t bought anything from TCS since 2016. I still recommend them to other ppl as they make good converters. Kim
Thanks for the reply Kim. With the death of the owner, a lot has probably been put on Pauls' shoulders. I suspect that Steve, who was the manager of the converter division, has more on his plate since his Dad passed, as have his brothers. They have a lot more responsibility now running the company, than just one division.
I think I'll give Paul a call and find out how things are going on his end.
Graham

I got one from coan racing and they were so easy to deal with. Got a 10 inch tight stalling 3000 - 3200.

-
Back