727 dipstick seal and deep pan ?'s

-

440+6scamp

Reaction score
I've got a factory pan (about 1 1/2" deep). There's fluid leaking from the dipstick tube. I figured it would leak b/c the OD of the o-ring I used wasn't much bigger then the OD of the tube. Does anyone have a P/N for the correct seal?

I'd also like to add a deeper pan. Where can I find one? I assume I'll have to extend the pickup so what do I need to accomplish that?

I don't know any part # for it but if you take the dipstick up to NAPA or a parts store that has a bulk O-ring kit you should be able to find one that fits properly.

There are a few vendors selling deep pan's. Try Mancini's, Summit, JEGS. If you do E-bay you might even look there for a good used one. That's where I got mine cheap. Some guys claim an extended pickup isn't necessary as long as you keep it full on the dipstick and technically that's correct but I personally like a deep pickup to suck fluid from the bottom. Just like when installing a deep pan on an engine you use an extended pickup. Just my opinion.

Thanks. I got the current o-ring I'm using from napa. The ID was right on but I think I need a thinker o-ring. I'll keep looking.

The thing I like about a deep pan is I would think you can run the level a little lower from the gasket and reduce the chance of a gasket/dipstick leak (as long as you lower the pickup too). What's considered to be a deep pan? 3"?

Thanks. I got the current o-ring I'm using from napa. The ID was right on but I think I need a thinker o-ring. I'll keep looking.

Do you know of a hydraulic repair shop near you? If so they usually have a huge selection of O-rings.

The thing I like about a deep pan is I would think you can run the level a little lower from the gasket and reduce the chance of a gasket/dipstick leak (as long as you lower the pickup too). What's considered to be a deep pan? 3"?

Yeah that probably would work as seepage is a problem sometimes. If I remember right my deep pan is about 1-1/4~1-1/2" deeper than stock.

Oh yeah some heavy duty truck 727's (1 ton trucks), and all A518's (basically a 727 with overdrive) had deep pans from the factory.

Out here in Calif you can try Mayo Pefromance in Pomona, thats where I got my pan and pick up adapter for my A999 and he is reasonable

Geez....go to a transmission shop or Chrysler dealer and get the Right one! (O ring)

Mopar performance sells a deep pan kit too. Cha Ching!

I got a deep , chrome pan for my 727 at 440 Source. $24.99. Just remember to really scuff up the sealing lip on any chrome pan so the gasket will seal.

-
Back