727 experts? Need help

-

schmitt

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got my engine done and put back in the rig, however I have no power to the rear wheels

Things I've done with trans
Add different torque converter (went in nice, rotated and felt it lock in)
Dropped pan and valve body to take out shift shaft. Was leaking so I had it machined down some and added a new seal where it comes up out of the trans.

When I put my shifter to park I can still roll the car?? Could I installed that shift linkage in the trans wrong?

No oil coming out rear trans line when I checked, But I'm not even sure I'm in neutral. I checked with my pen light on the neutral switch and it lights up. However it should light up when I'm in park too but it's not? And again when in so call park I can still roll the car.

I'm lost

Was the park rod on the valve body when it went back in?
Did you have to rotate the driveline or output shaft to get the rod in place?

When the linkage rotates the button on the end of this rod gets pulled into the park pawl and the pawl gets pushed over into the teeth on the park gear.

As far as no fluid coming out of the line it almost HAS to be the pump, (where the converter snout goes), the filter or not enough fluid in it yet.

Any of this sound probable?

Any of the park lock parts missing in the tail housing will cause park not to lock also.
Lucky that all those parts except the attaching point for the rod to valve body are in the tail housing, so if the rod is on the valve body you only have to pull the tail housing to see what's missing.

Attachments

• vb.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 210
The park rod was on the valve body, I had to rotate the drive shaft to get it to go back in?

The trans worked great when I came apart (could the pump go out in the mean time)

The park rod was on the valve body, I had to rotate the drive shaft to get it to go back in?

The trans worked great when I came apart (could the pump go out in the mean time)

Was that a question or a statement? :D

When the VB goes back in the rod sometimes tries to push the lock (pawl) over but there is a tooth of the gear in the way at the moment so you have to turn the driveline (or output shaft) so that the rod can go in where it belongs.

Any of that sound familiar?

Heck it's even possible the linkage is not allowing the trans to go all the way into park.
Have you verified the linkage isn't stopping it from going all the way into park at the trans?

On the pumping fluid problem, what has changed since it was working? (converter)?

Yeah the trans can't be going into park because I can still push the car. Do I need to drop the pan and take the valve body back out? Worst part is I don't really know what to look for.

Pumping fluid- Yes the only thing that changed was converter. Maybe I'm not even in neutral so it's not pumping the fluid?

Thanks for your help.

Yeah the trans can't be going into park because I can still push the car. Do I need to drop the pan and take the valve body back out? Worst part is I don't really know what to look for.

Pumping fluid- Yes the only thing that changed was converter. Maybe I'm not even in neutral so it's not pumping the fluid?

Thanks for your help.

Converter bolts in it? :D

Do whatever you have to do to verify that linkage.
Disconnect the linkage and verify it by shifting the trans by hand into each position.
There should be 6 positions PRND21.

The pump will pump fluid any time the engine is running.
(supposed to anyway)

Lol yes the converter bolts are in, Wish that was the problem at this point.

Converter bolts in it? :D

Do whatever you have to do to verify that linkage.
Disconnect the linkage and verify it by shifting the trans by hand into each position.
There should be 6 positions PRND21.

The pump will pump fluid any time the engine is running.
(supposed to anyway)

I just went and hand selected through all the gears, I'm only getting 5. Guessing I'm missing park somehow being it rolls no matter what.

You are going to need to pull the pan and find out why.
It's pretty easy to diagnose once you are seeing it working, and we/I can help with pictures and descriptions.

Like I said earlier, everything for the park function is in the tailhousing except for the rod.
When the VB goes in the rod has to get pushed through the park assembly.
Then when the linkage is put in park it pulls the rod forward until the knob on the end forces the pawl into the gear and locks the output shaft resulting in park lock.
Also when the pan is off you want to make sure the linkage arm is seated in the manual valve (common for new people to miss) and it won't change gears but WOULD still go into park because the rod is not part of selecting gears.

Check these pics out.

Attachments

• vb2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 136
  • pawl.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 126
Hey thanks Trail beast! Tore it apart yesterday and I noticed I didn't put the shift lever on the valve body right, Where your pic shows correct engagement. I didn't have that little arm in the manual valve grove, Had it on the very end.
So park woks now I just need to fill it back with oil and test run yet.

I'll have to remember that, because apparently it wouldn't go into park because the lever was hitting the manual valve and stopping the comb from traveling all the way into the park position. (or park would have worked but the trans wouldn't shift into or out of gears)
It would have been stuck in whatever position the valve happened to be in. (possibly even destructively between gears)

Glad it was an easy fix.

It was nice to have someone give diagnostic information and follow through with the suggested diagnosing, :D
Good job.

-
Back