727 factory "high stall" converter information sought

-

dodgedude

Reaction score
I have a factory high stall converter and was curious to the actual stall I can expect behind a mild built 440?

10:1 compression, undicided on camshaft. Factory heads with edelbrock rpm intake.

Thanks for any information.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 542
The more torque the motor puts out, the higher the stall for a specific torque convertor. Put a /6 convertor behind a 440 and itll stall alot higher.
"...The primary thing we want to remember about torque converter stall speed is that a particular torque converter does not have a "preset from the factory" stall speed but rather its unique design will produce a certain range of stall speeds depending on the amount of load the torque converter is exposed to. This load comes from both the torque produced by the engine and the resistance of the vehicle to move from rest. The higher this combined load the higher stall we will observe from a particular torque converter, and conversely, the lower the load, the lower the stall speed. Naturally, if the engine is not at wide open throttle we will not expect to observe as high a stall speed as we would under a wide open throttle...."

Probably between 2500 and 2800.

Just trying to decide if I want to use this one or go aftermarket. Purely street just wanting a nice sounding cam and good power.

Thanks

I have no experience with a factory issued Hi-Stall converter, but I can verify that the Dacco 764 Hi-stall replacement converter will flash to 2800 behind a mild 440.

If you're running stock heads, resist the urge to install a big cam or you'll very likely end up with a unresponsive slug that does nothing well.

Something along the lines of the Lunati Voodoo 60302 would be a good match for a mild 440.

We are running a custom ground Lunati cam with the Voodoo VH43 lobes and it is a torque monster in our 5200lb truck!

220/220@050 108+6 in our 440 w/ported 906 heads, RPM intake, 1-3/4 headers.
727, Dacco 764 converter, 3.54 Dana. Very fun combo to drive.

I have a factory high stall converter and was curious to the actual stall I can expect behind a mild built 440?

10:1 compression, undicided on camshaft. Factory heads with edelbrock rpm intake.

Thanks for any information.

While the tag does say "high stall" many converter rebuilders call it a medium stall converter. The information I've got (or received) says that it stalls between 2200-2400. This converter has been used behind many engines: /6, 318, 383, 400, and the 360 and 440 engines with a forged crank. With this many engine combinations, the stall will vary depending on what engine it is behind, and other governing factors. I would tend to agree that with what your engine is now, you will might see in the 2700/2800 range on a flash stall, and depending on the holding power of your brakes in the area of 2400.
If your entertaining buying a high stall converter down the road, don't order it until you've got your engine, diff., and rear tire size combination figured out.

I used that converter behind a 440 with 10:1 pistons, MP 280/474 cam. Worked really nice with that cam. Brake stall at 2600 RPM.

Thanks everyone. I will try this converter in my application and let you know how it worked!

-
Back