727 hard shift

-

Darius

Darius
Reaction score
Hi all
I am a new guy to the Mopar Muscle world. Something I've always wanted to do and am now where I can "kinda" afford it. I am not a mechanic so I am on an educational trip here.
I bought a 69 dart GTS original 340/727/8 3/4. It was restored in the mid 80's and that is about as much as I have been able to find out so far.
I notice when it shifts 1st -2nd it is a hard shift and from 2nd-3rd is even harder. What I mean by hard is that it almost "bangs" and jerks or jolts into gear. It does not appear to be slipping however and it make the shift in a seemingly timely manner (no tach so I can't say RPMs at shift). This surely cannot be normal can it? Any hints will be most greatly appreciated.
Also anyone in Sacramento,Ca. who can point me to a great 340 mechanic?
Thanks in advance for sharing and helping a dork.
Darius

Can you tell if you have kickdown linkage that is hooked up to the carb, and leads down to the transmission?

Sounds like somebody may have put a shift kit in it and it may not be a great one. I put one in yrs. ago that acted like that. Shifted very hard for a street car. That's why I only use the TransGo kits now because they're consistant. May not be alot you can do short of finding a real good Mopar transmissions man to see if he can modify what's in there or just replace the valve body with a stock one or possibly get a stock one and put in a good TransGo kit in it.

Thanks Fishy
I have a lead on a supposed outstanding MOPAR mechanic. Calling him tomorrow.
Darius

i dont think u need to find a good 340 mechanic. i mean if u can work on a v8 pushrod engine u can work on any of them.. u just take time putting it together. but i love the 340 lots of potential prob the greatest small block ever made...but its awlways nice to have a good mopar guy work on ur car..

I don't think you need a 340 mechanic. I think that you to let a transmission guy take a look at it. The kick down linkage can be adjusted like kimmer said. The shift kit is something that you want if you like performance but if it is so bad that you get tired of it then you want it removed.

Thank You folks, what a great site! I only hope I can contribute in some way sometime and return the favor.
Darius

Kim and Mullinax are right about it softening the shift by adjusting the kd linkage. I didn't mention it because it will affect your shift speeds also. It may lower them to a point you don't like and cause you to have no kickdown at hwy. speeds. But as easy as it is to adjust you might as well try it. Won't jurt anything if you have to adjust it back.

-
Back