727 identification #

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
I have a 727 that has these number on the driver side just above the oil pan:

28920891 26373 9183

and this # stamped on the tail 24669?? #7 and 68 under that..

It also has753-4 in large numbers stamped on the housing.

The main question is: is that a good tranny to have rebuilt? I know some trannys are lock and none lock up... not sure what this one is.

Thanks in advance guys.

#2892089 is a 1969 early 1970 trans that was behind a 340. It is a non lockup trans. It should be fine to have rebuilt. What is the trans going to be used for? Street, Street/strip or all out race ?

#2892089 is a 1969 early 1970 trans that was behind a 340. It is a non lockup trans. It should be fine to have rebuilt. What is the trans going to be used for? Street, Street/strip or all out race ?

street/ strip

You should be fine then.

how can I tell if its work a crap as it sits? This guys told me it was a built tranny with a mrvb... but I looked at the VB today and it appears to be stock..lol

I don't know if you have had a trans apart before or not, but if it was me I would disassemble the trans and inspect it. If you are not comfortable with the disassembly I would ask here on FABO if anybody knows of a reliable trans shop in your area. Or you can put it in the car and cross your fingers. As far as the valve body goes, when you removed it was there a spring on the accumulator piston?

the is a good guy in the area but its $350 for him just to look at it... fock that... I can buy a brand new stock one for $850..lol... as far as accumulator piston I have no idea what that is..

The tranny number is 2892089,the next four digits are part of the 10,000 day calander,the next four are the priduction sequence for the plant.The tranny fits these cars:
Cuda 69 8cyl 340
Cuda early 70 8cyl 340 4 bbl
Challenger early 70 8cyl 4bbl
Dart 69 early 70 8cyl 340
Valiant 69 early 70 8 cyl 340

The first four digit number is most likely 2937 and not 2637 as this is in 67.
2937 is a monday august 12 1969
9183 is the production sequence of the plant for trannies,your was the 9183rd built there.
See if you have a PP or a PK before the part number,mrmopartech

$350 does sound high just to look at a trans.Looking at the first photo on your valve body post you will see 2 levers in the bottom part of the pic. 1 in the front 1 in the rear. After you remove the valve body you will see the accumulator piston in between the 2 levers. Was there a spring on top of the accumulator piston? This spring is normally removed if it is a manual valve body. Next pull the accumulator piston out to see what is under neath. There should be what is called a blocker rod under the piston.

The tranny number is 2892089,the next four digits are part of the 10,000 day calander,the next four are the priduction sequence for the plant.The tranny fits these cars:
Cuda 69 8cyl 340
Cuda early 70 8cyl 340 4 bbl
Challenger early 70 8cyl 4bbl
Dart 69 early 70 8cyl 340
Valiant 69 early 70 8 cyl 340

The first four digit number is most likely 2937 and not 2637 as this is in 67.
2937 is a monday august 12 1969
9183 is the production sequence of the plant for trannies,your was the 9183rd built there.
See if you have a PP or a PK before the part number,mrmopartech

thanks for the info.. i didn't see a PP or PK

$350 does sound high just to look at a trans.Looking at the first photo on your valve body post you will see 2 levers in the bottom part of the pic. 1 in the front 1 in the rear. After you remove the valve body you will see the accumulator piston in between the 2 levers. Was there a spring on top of the accumulator piston? This spring is normally removed if it is a manual valve body. Next pull the accumulator piston out to see what is under neath. There should be what is called a blocker rod under the piston.

I will do this tomorrow.. u might have to pm me your number though just in case I get flustered.

If I understand your other thread about the valve body you already have the valve body unbolted? If so, pull the valve body straight up untill it clears the caseThe rod attached to the valve body that goes back into the tailshaft should just pull out of the tailshaft. If not you will have to rotate the output shaft a little until it pull out. Let me know if you need my phone#

If I understand your other thread about the valve body you already have the valve body unbolted? If so, pull the valve body straight up untill it clears the caseThe rod attached to the valve body that goes back into the tailshaft should just pull out of the tailshaft. If not you will have to rotate the output shaft a little until it pull out. Let me know if you need my phone#

I put it all back together.. I will take a look at it tomorrow.

-
Back