727 internal scraping noise

-

Tomfury68

Reaction score
I have a 73 dart with a 408. Transmission was working perfect until the other day, rebuilt with tci shift kit new seals and clutches. The motor was pretty warm from sitting in some unexpected traffic so I shut it off in gear, forgot to put it back into park when I restarted it, no neutral safety yet, fell a pretty significant shock to the transmission. Now it makes a scraping sound, like tearing metal, when I shift it into drive or down shifts after slowing down. Was really hoping it was a motor mount but checked all that. Seems to work fine but not a good sound and I'm not driving it. Sounds like something being drug around like a bad wheel bearing. Fustrating because I just swapped in a bigger cam and took out the cloyes timing set that was retarded, but that another story. Thanks for any help , hopefully the sprag didn't roll and destroy the case.

I have started cars in gear many many times. Pull the starter and check the ring gear and starter gear for damage, the starter could be hanging or not completely en/disengaging.

First thing I would check is the dust shield. A slight rub can make a horrific sound. I agree, starting in gear shouldnt have hurt anything. Hopefully your sprag is ok. I had a sprag let loose while driving and it didnt hurt the case at all. Not sure how, the rollers and springs were mangled to hell. I dont build them without an upgraded sprag anymore.
Do you hear the noise when its in park or only when your moving?

More info on trans please. Manual VB? If so, what gear were you in? What 2nd gear band? Rigid or flex? HD band strut or stock band strut? See where I'm headed with this? Drop the pan and have yourself a look see. Im sure you'll figure it out right away.

I was hoping for a cracked flex plate was making the noise, maybe a bolt in bell housing, but I know better. I don't buy lottery tickets because I know I'm not lucky. Pulled the transmission today, lots of metal shavings in the pan. Will need to come apart so I can figure out what caused it , learning is hard sometimes. New to transmissions, paid a transmission shop to go through it and always worked well even in drive, and reverse. Didn't slip just made noise. Hopefully trans can be saved. Did grind and shudder while coming to a stop, the car went in the garage at that point.

20230224_140310.jpg

20230224_140818.jpg

Oh, heck! I forgot about the most important/likely deal. The sprag......

Just a really disappointing end to the transmission, wish I could at least claim a good launch, race or epic burn out

Just a really disappointing end to the transmission, wish I could at least claim a good launch, race or epic burn out
This is also a good time to consider a different torque converter. With that much debris in the pan, the TC may be damaged too.

Yeah, I have another one laying around, was going to use for another project but just need to get the dart mobile. Building a 440 for a 72 d100. Had a 360 in it, going to use the Trans and converter out of it

-
Back