727 into early" A" Q ?

-

M52

Reaction score
Could you tell me what is required to install a 727TF into a 66 A body
If it matters it has a floor shift

Thanks

You'll have to enlarge the tunnel some, the larger bell housing won't fit, otherwise it should work just fine.

For what its worth I ran a 727 and 340 engine out of a 70 Duster in my 66 Barracuda with no tunnel modifications. The 66 Barracuda was a factory 273 engine 904 automatic trans floor shift car.

You will need to shorten the drive shaft and probably a yoke splined for the 727 trans.

Mine fits fine in a 64 Dart, roll over the unibody floor lip in it tight but mine has been in her since 1978 buddy. You can then mod the floor to add a B@M shifter or what ever floats you boat. it will fit, it is very tight, Starter is a mother too, but it fits even with TTI headers as I have.

All other parts are the same, cross member etc, shorter drive shaft of course too.

For what its worth I ran a 727 and 340 engine out of a 70 Duster in my 66 Barracuda with no tunnel modifications. The 66 Barracuda was a factory 273 engine 904 automatic trans floor shift car.

You will need to shorten the drive shaft and probably a yoke splined for the 727 trans.

Mine fits fine in a 64 Dart, roll over the unibody floor lip in it tight but mine has been in her since 1978 buddy. You can then mod the floor to add a B@M shifter or what ever floats you boat. it will fit, it is very tight, Starter is a mother too, but it fits even with TTI headers as I have.

All other parts are the same, cross member etc, shorter drive shaft of course too.

It may depend on how firm your mounts are, I know with new mounts you have to bend over the flange between the firewall and the floor hump and make a few cuts to clear the bell housing, especially by the gas pedal.

Yep that is what I did, in fact I recall I took a 5 lb hammer back in 78 too.

like every one said, there is a flange,its really the seam from the fire wall to the floor pan,,you have to snip it and peen it over flat,,if you tear it you may want to weld it shut or use seam sealer,,

if you have the factory floor shifter and console,,the 727 will still work with that shifter,,providing the 727 is sorta vintage,,you will need a 727 with a 2 bolt hole flange on the tail shaft for the floor shift linkage bracket,,look at your 904 you will see what i meen ,,

Firewall/tunnel clearence, shorten driveshaft, change 25 spline yoke to a 29 spline yoke with the same u-joint size, change lower shifter bellcrank bracket to a 727 type, match convertor with the flex plate bolt pattern and change as necessary, 727 dust plate and inspection plate, 727 type trans to engine support struts, and a 727 dip stick and tube that will fit your firewall contour.
The big question is why you would want to go to all that trouble? If you build the 904 right, it's a better transmission.....lighter and less HP loss.
Thanks, Mark

-
Back