727 Linkage

-

darepairman

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me just what is the difference between the 904 shift linkage and the 727 shift linkage? I installed a 727 in my collum shift 72 Dart from a 904, I have the 904 linkage, I got the kick down linkage set with some mods. but the shift linkage, I cant get the full range out of it. I can get park but not first or I can get first and not park. I have it narrowed down to the Z bar, I think the center of the hole for the rod to the trans. is wrong. Can anyone verify that? and what is the center distance from the bottom of the cross rod on the Z bar to the center of the hole for mounting the shift rod to the trans. I would like to modify what I have to work or if someone has one to sell I will take it. Thanks for the help Ed

I think they are supposed to be the same, but we had the same problem with out 71 when we upgraded to 727...

Not driving yet, but need to figure this out also...

I'm wondering if I need to lengthen the rod, or is the ratio in the pivot off???

I think they are supposed to be the same, but we had the same problem with out 71 when we upgraded to 727...

Not driving yet, but need to figure this out also...

I'm wondering if I need to lengthen the rod, or is the ratio in the pivot off???

After monkeying around with this I think it is the ratio
My rod is adjustable but it just don't seem to have the full range

I don't remember any problem in my 67.......went from 904 to 727, but with console shifter. Maybe some years shift levers are different length? In my case the 727 was out of a ?? late 70's early 80's van

I don't remember any problem in my 67.......went from 904 to 727, but with console shifter. Maybe some years shift levers are different length? In my case the 727 was out of a ?? late 70's early 80's van
Mine is a 1968 by the numbers, I rebuilt it with a B&M kit and replaced the valve body with a TCI auto/manual if that helps but everything should be the same

After monkeying around with this I think it is the ratio
My rod is adjustable but it just don't seem to have the full range

That's what we ran into...

But then our new rebuilt trans lost the detents for the gears and now we have to get that figured out...

did you get the special 727 bracket that bolts to the ear on the front of the trans that the z-bar goes through... The stock 904 one will not work as it will be on a ****-eyed angle.... There's a special bracket for the 727 z-bar....

That's what we ran into...

But then our new rebuilt trans lost the detents for the gears and now we have to get that figured out...

did you get the special 727 bracket that bolts to the ear on the front of the trans that the z-bar goes through... The stock 904 one will not work as it will be on a ****-eyed angle.... There's a special bracket for the 727 z-bar....
No I didn't and I did notice it sits a little funny, do you have any info on the bracket? maybe that's the difference, but I still think I might need more lateral travel like a longer z bar with the hole a little farther down. I would try to fabricate it but I don't want to mess up what I have if that's not the case

I looked back in my picture file and can't find it right now...

I just saw it yesterday.... :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

The clocking on the column shift 727 automatic z-bar lever that goes to the trans rod is different from a 904 to a 727 and that lever also a different length. The trans rod itself is also different from a 904 to a 727 with column shift automatic. The width of the z-bar is narrower on the 727 and the trans bracket for the z-bar to mount to is different from 904 to 727 as well.

The clocking on the column shift 727 automatic z-bar lever that goes to the trans rod is different from a 904 to a 727 and that lever also a different length. The trans rod itself is also different from a 904 to a 727 with column shift automatic. The width of the z-bar is narrower on the 727 and the trans bracket for the z-bar to mount to is different from 904 to 727 as well.

I think the clocking of the arms of the z-bar are the same between 904 & 727, but the 727 is slightly shorter to fit the larger 727 housing...

The shift lever on the manual shaft for a 727 is straight. The 904 1 is kinda a L shape. Also u can drill a hole onboard of the factory 1 to change the shift throw. Kim

The shift lever on the manual shaft for a 727 is straight. The 904 1 is kinda a L shape. Also u can drill a hole onboard of the factory 1 to change the shift throw. Kim

Digging through my parts I found the part you are talking about, I was still short on range, so I made a slotted piece for the Z bar or torque arm that will slide up and down the arm that connects to the trans. arm. That way I can adjust the length of the arm. I will post how it works with a picture. I don't have a lot of time this weekend my son is getting married Saturday.
Thanks for the reply Kim

here are the two pieces...the short one is for a 727.As mentioned the trans mount is different.Mounting the bracket under the transmission ear sometimes works.

IMG_2793.JPG

Last edited:
here's are the two pieces...the short one is for a 727.As mentioned the trans mount is different.Mounting the bracket under the transmission ear sometimes works.

View attachment 1715064639

Yeah, that's what I remember from my son's car... The 904 and 727 z-bars are different lengths, but the clocking of the arms is the same...

Thanks for the pictures... :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've done console shifter cars from 904 to 727 before with no problem...

Column shift is different.... :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

If anyone can post pictures of both of those so I can see the difference would be great so I can get my son's figured out...

here's are the two pieces...the short one is for a 727.As mentioned the trans mount is different.Mounting the bracket under the transmission ear sometimes works.

Since you have the there, could you give the measurements between the arms on the 727 one? I know the clocking is 65 degrees but it would be nice to know the distance.

i made the short one for a car i have since sold but i just made it one inch shorter and the missing inch is between the shift arms.I used half inch round stock and 1 inch flat bar.The original pieces use very hard steel but for the amount of use these cars get mild steel is o.k.I think the trans mount off of some vans is a correct fit.

i made the short one for a car i have since sold but i just made it one inch shorter and the missing inch is between the shift arms.I used half inch round stock and 1 inch flat bar.The original pieces use very hard steel but for the amount of use these cars get mild steel is o.k.I think the trans mount off of some vans is a correct fit.

Thank you, 1 inch shorter, got it, I have the stock to make a new one out of stainless. I know the original ones are harder than a whores heart, I drilled out one hole for an oillite bushing, had to resharpen the drill twice.
Which mount is the correct height the one on the frame or the one on the trans?

here are the two pieces...the short one is for a 727.As mentioned the trans mount is different.Mounting the bracket under the transmission ear sometimes works.

Thanks for those pics. As can be seen there is quite a bit of difference between the widths as i mentioned and out of 15 or more 727 cross shafts i had most if not all had a slight difference in the clocking of the trans rod lever which could be related to year or parts supplier at the time. The trans rod lever also is a slightly different height and as i mentioned before the trans rod is different

Last edited:
Thank you, 1 inch shorter, got it, I have the stock to make a new one out of stainless. I know the original ones are harder than a whores heart, I drilled out one hole for an oillite bushing, had to resharpen the drill twice.
Which mount is the correct height the one on the frame or the one on the trans?

It looks like you have the materials and info now to get you fixed up. The mount on the frame is the same for 904 or 727, the trans mount is different

Last edited:
you are correct the frame mount is the same.I think maybe mounting the bracket under the 727 transmission ear gets it level..it's been awhile.You may have to massage that bracket a little.
Most 340 A bodies were consul autos...finding a column shifted 340 A body for the parts is pretty difficult nowadays.Hope this works for you.

-
Back