727 Linkage

-
i made the short one for a car i have since sold but i just made it one inch shorter and the missing inch is between the shift arms.

So, if I understand correctly, the 727 bar is 1 inch shorter (between the arms) and the arms are clocked the same and the tranny bracket is 727 specific.

Are the arms the same length from a 904 bar to a 727 bar? Looks like I need to build one of my own too and this has been super helpful.

Thanks, Larry

So, if I understand correctly, the 727 bar is 1 inch shorter (between the arms) and the arms are clocked the same and the tranny bracket is 727 specific.

Are the arms the same length from a 904 bar to a 727 bar? Looks like I need to build one of my own too and this has been super helpful.

Thanks, Larry
It seems there are many different ways people say of making incorrect linkage work and the best way i can describe it for you is to say this. If you are going to make the linkage z-bar for a 727 using your 904 parts like ir3333 did in the pics provided and turn the trans bracket upside down then you may be able to use the same clocking and lever lengths from the 904 shaft with some modification but if you are going to use correct 727 parts including the unique trans rod and trans bracket then you should have a correct 727 z-bar because the one lever on the z-bar is a different length and slightly different clocking. Others say they have done it so i am sure you can figure it out because as was mentioned correct column auto 727 linkage is very hard to find. I hope it works out well for you. BTW i have seen some 727 sets on e-bay recently but they look to me to be 904 ones made into 727 ones and of course not mentioning it.

yes,i believe a 727 is a couple of inches wider than a 904 so 1 inch per side and a 904 torque shaft or z bar will be about an inch too long.Shorten the 904 z bar overall length by removing an inch between the shift arms.the transmission bracket is 727 specific as well and a 904 bracket mounted beneath the 727 ear gets it level but i think i did have to file a bit...The shift arms themselves are the same and don't forget there is some adjustment available.

It looks like you have the materials and info now to get you fixed up. The mount on the frame is the same for 904 or 727, the trans mount is different
I really appreciate the info from all of you guys, I will get it done on sunday after the boys wedding, Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks once more, This board is invaluable for a guy like me

you are correct the frame mount is the same.I think maybe mounting the bracket under the 727 transmission ear gets it level..it's been awhile.You may have to massage that bracket a little.
Most 340 A bodies were consul autos...finding a column shifted 340 A body for the parts is pretty difficult nowadays.Hope this works for you.

Back,, after messing around for a while and just could not get it right. I ended up getting a B&M Hammer shifter, will be nice, but I couldn't get the kick down right and didn't want to damage the trans. testing I was having 3rd or drive problems so I got a cable. Ill try it out tomorrow, its raining here. It wasn't giving up I just rebuilt this trany and don't want to damage it

-
Back