727 locking up while driving

-

doopdoop67

Reaction score
I just put a 727 in my dart. It has a cheetah full manual valve body. I took it for a drive today for the first time and Tried to put it in second gear and it completely locked up the rear tires. I loosened up the kickdown band and it’s still really tight. If I put it in 2nd gear it brings the car to a stop. Any idea what this is? I’m thinking it’s something to do with this manual valve body. Does anyone know if my old 904 valve body will work in the 727?? Thanks

My buddy's car did that and I think it was the wrong year trans for that VB, It's not releasing 1st gear. It was a long time ago so I might be wrong but the best I can remember that is what it was.

That's interesting because I've been compiling differences in the cases and vbs trying to figure out what interchanges and what doesn't. Check the fit of the vb up to the case right behind the accumulator; in front of the rear servo.

I have changed 67 up to 76 back and forth and everything in between. Not 1 problem either way. Some cases have open spots either way also. Kim

My guess is the rear band is locked on the drum. Or ur linkage is in between gears applying both gears at once. Kim
I dropped the pan and readjusted the bands. The linkage was not set properly so I made some adjustments and I’m going to try it tomorrow. Hope it works!

To answer your question yes a904 valve body will fit in a 727 and vice versa.
However the park Rod is different between the two Transmissions.

Kim could be on the money where he says the rear band is not releasing when you select 2nd. But I have just had a 904 apart that also had a Cheetah RMVB from Turbo Action. According to the part number engraved on the sandwich plate, the VB does not apply the low band in 1st gear. If you have the same VB (part number 17156-2) you can see the number on the plate when you drop the pan, then I would definately take a very close look at the rear sprag. It may be damaged & not releasing. This is not a good situation.

Kim could be on the money where he says the rear band is not releasing when you select 2nd. But I have just had a 904 apart that also had a Cheetah RMVB from Turbo Action. According to the part number engraved on the sandwich plate, the VB does not apply the low band in 1st gear. If you have the same VB (part number 17156-2) you can see the number on the plate when you drop the pan, then I would definately take a very close look at the rear sprag. It may be damaged & not releasing. This is not a good situation.
My linkage was out of adjustment. Shifting good now

-
Back