727 normal tempreture range?

-

Carman340

Reaction score
Was wondering what is a normal opperating tempreture range for a 727 torqueflite. Mine creeps up to about 220 degrees. Kickdown isn't working properly either. 3000 rpm stall converter, too. Also, I am using a tranny cooler and reading temp, from the line coming out of the transmission instead of the line going in.
Thanks for any input.

I can't help you with the temp thing, but I can tell you that you need to get that kickdown issue fixed ASAP and make sure that the whole thing is adjusted properly. That goes for ALL of the adjustments that you can do to the trans.

I can't help you with the temp thing, but I can tell you that you need to get that kickdown issue fixed ASAP and make sure that the whole thing is adjusted properly. That goes for ALL of the adjustments that you can do to the trans.
x 2 improper kickdown adjustment equals smoked transmission. good advice

If that temp is in normal driving, I think you're high.

Good advise above on the kickdown/throttle pressure linkage. It's crucial for the life of the trans, and when you add some converter slip.....added heat will be the result. Do you have any type of shift kit or valve body mods? That would probably help also.

I honestly have only drivin'/raced one car with a gauge.....The sensor was in the sump/pan, and during two bracket runs about 15mins apart, it reached a little over 200*. Now, that was leaving very hard off the converter.

I know the lower the better, and I always understood that 200* was a threshold #. This was years back, but maybe there are some modern fluids that can maintain the high temps. Guys that consistently tow heavy loads now days may be of some help as far as acceptable temps.

Was wondering what is a normal opperating tempreture range for a 727 torqueflite. Mine creeps up to about 220 degrees. Kickdown isn't working properly either. 3000 rpm stall converter, too. Also, I am using a tranny cooler and reading temp, from the line coming out of the transmission instead of the line going in.
Thanks for any input.

Find out what the temp is going back to the transmission. Your cooler might be too small. As mentioned 220 degrees will soon burn out the transmission.

Thanks you guys. Transman, I could put the gauge on the return line instead, which would show a lower reading. Not a manual valve body. Tranny cooler also uses radiator. That kickdown linkage is probably the problem. Holly carb most likely moves the rod differently than the original thermoquad did.

Find out what the temp is going back to the transmission. Your cooler might be too small. As mentioned 220 degrees will soon burn out the transmission.

Agreed, an age old discussion. I installed mine in the return line so I know the cooler's effectiveness.

Thanks, Bruce
I will have to get that temp gauge switched. There isn' t any
adjustment at the transmission end of the kick down rod but there is at the carb end. I have it so that the carb shaft barly touches the kickdown linkage at idle. So at full throtle the rod is pushed back as far as the linkage can push it back.
I am new to the forum so let me know if I am screwing up.
That Dart Sport must be nice runnin'. I had a Weind Action Plus on a bigblock once and it had lots of torque (dual plane).
Matt (carman340)

-
Back