727 Part Number

-

73NorthernDuste

Reaction score
Can't find this casting number. I just purchased a 360 with a 727 bolted up to it. There are the numbers 925-1 on the bell housing in big #'s then down on the side is 2466925-1 and A 727 A on the bottom of the bell housing. On the tail shaft there is 2466901. I found reference to the tailshaft number but not the case # I've looked at all the sources I could find on the web.

Also this trans has a 1 wire neutral safety switch in it. Can I just put in a three wire switch off my 73 904 or will there be a problem with the rooster comb? If I knew what year the trans was for sure that might help but I can't find any info.

Thanks in advance.

Look on the left of the trans above the pan and get those numbers, as the ones posted don't match up, if you post them or PM me I can help.

Ok I did a little more cleaning and found the numbers down lower right above the pan. G2538338 2333931. With those numbers I think it is a 66 727 from behind a 273...

If I am right will I have a problem with my neutral switch or will it work.... or will it start but the reverse lights won't work.....

I have a 73 service manual but I am not sure if the rooster comb from a 68 up car with the 3 wire switch will go in the earlier case...anyone done this?

Thanks

2538338 does come back to being from behind a 273 in 1966. I can't say what problems might arise from using the wrong switch as I have never swapped them. I haven't tried swapping rooster comb assemblies but I can't see why that won't work as I believe the valve body and manual valve is the same. One major problem you will have though is the converter hub on the earlier units were smaller than the newer ones so it will wobble around in the crank register and eventually break either the flexplate or trans. input shaft and possibly tear up the front pump too. There is a couple ways around it though. Some places sell a spacer that slips into the crank that makes up the diff. in size. You can also swap out the input shaft to a newer one and use a newer torque converter. Someone may have already done one or the other but you better check it out to make sure or as I said it'll tear things up.

I guess when I pull the engine and trans apart I will have to remember to count the splines on the input shaft. If it's 19 I guess I will be swapping.
:angry7:
Thanks

Brent

I guess when I pull the engine and trans apart I will have to remember to count the splines on the input shaft. If it's 19 I guess I will be swapping.
:angry7:
Thanks

Brent
Just a quick note: that trans according to the numbers is a 904 not a 727

you can just swap out the neutral safty switches as they are the same on the inside but the back-up lights may not work. the center post is the neutral safty.

Blue340

Where did you find reference to it being a 904? Just curious...It has 727 stamped on the bottom of the bell housing.... the reference book I have says 66 273 2bc....and ma mopar did put the 727 behind the 273 in 66...

Here is the link to the reference I used

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf
I looked up the part number you listed in Galens white books,and those books show no 273 with a 727 behind it in 66. Now in 65 a 273 had a 727 but that was police/taxi in the B-bodies. Look at the pan by the dip stick tube and see if it has an outward hump there-if so its a 727 and if its just straight there its a 904. Galens book lists it as a 66 A body 273-2bbl. Are you sure the last number is 8? as a2538333 is a 66 318 727 trans.

-
Back