727 problems

-

THE STEVE

"part-time wheelman"
Reaction score
ok, i got a 727 out of a 73 challenger for my 72 duster. a buddy rebuilt it for me. it has a b&m shift kit. we got it in and it shifted ok but was late going into 3rd. (shifted at around 3grand at partial throttle) i had the linkage adjusted but it never made any difference. eventually it burnt up the secondary drum and band. it only had abt 1000 miles on it.

i tore it apart at school, im at vincennes for automechanics. found out it had a thrust washer missing where the two shafts meet. well i fixed it, replaced all the parts. adjusted the bands to what the specs said.

got it in, filled it up, drove it. and it does the same thing. it goes to abt 3 grand before it`ll shift into 3rd. the throttle linkage had been adjusted.

i only drove it abt 1 mile. i didnt try it at WOT. i figured it might be a band adjustment or the linkage adjustment needs adjusted. any thoughts?

i havent had a chance to look at it yet. but i was hoping somebody could shed some light.

thanks!​

Is the restrictor in the case above the valve body in the 3rd gear apply passage? What shift kit does it have? It sounds like there might be something missing from the shift kit.

There is no restrictor in the valve body. The cheap kits take out the check balls and you install their seperator plate. The better kit has a cupped oriface plug that presses into the case above the valve body, and that is to slow the 3rd gear apply because you create a new larger passage by drilling the upper casting. So was it the reprogramming pack for like $30, or the shift improver pack with 3 levels of shifts?

it was the $40 b&m kit.

it came with a plate. and it said to remove certain check balls.

i went throught the valve body. nothing seemed out of whack and all the valves seemed fine. my instructor was with me and he said it seemed ok. i still might take it back out and do some checking. thanks

There is no restrictor in the valve body. The cheap kits take out the check balls and you install their seperator plate. The better kit has a cupped oriface plug that presses into the case above the valve body, and that is to slow the 3rd gear apply because you create a new larger passage by drilling the upper casting. So was it the reprogramming pack for like $30, or the shift improver pack with 3 levels of shifts?

like i said, im new to transmissions. when i worked in the speed shop all i did was engine work. anyways... would the cheap kit cause the 3rd gear shift to be late? just like you said the reprograming pak would? or is there something else wrong?

in other words.. with the shift kit, is it suppose to shift late into third?

thanks

It should not be delayed going into 3rd no matter what kit you have but I have seen the B&M kits do just that. They are very inconsistent. Sometimes they work right, sometimes they don't. That's why I won't use them anymore. Pull the valve body out and go through it making absolutely sure all the valves are in correctly and install a Trans-go kit. That should solve it.

you might want to put in a pre 73 kickdown servo kit and a higher ratio lever. also on the front clutches try the max clearance and use all the release springs.

i went through all the linkage and adjusted everything.

topped off the fluid and drove it. it drove perfect. every shift is on time and they are good, solid shifts. i just drove home from vincennes to bedford (60 miles) and had no problems. i agree on b&m kits being alittle inconsistent. but it works fine for now. ill upgrade it later when i get the money.

thanks

i went through all the linkage and adjusted everything.

topped off the fluid and drove it. it drove perfect. every shift is on time and they are good, solid shifts. i just drove home from vincennes to bedford (60 miles) and had no problems. i agree on b&m kits being alittle inconsistent. but it works fine for now. ill upgrade it later when i get the money.

thanks

Excellent!! As far as changing the shift kit later I wouldn't worry about it if it's working good. If you feel any overlap between shifts (that's when it's in 2 gears at once momentarily) change it, otherwise don't worry about it.

-
Back