727 pumping enough

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I removed my remote trans cooler and the lines seemed pretty dry.
how do you know if your trans pump is pumping enough fluid???
Car runs great and hooks well in 2nd and 3rd.
I had the front end jacked up but i would have figured some trany fluid would have still been in the cooler?

It should be pumping anytime in gear or even in park. Was it sitting with the front end up in the air for awhile? Could be some drain back.
To check your flow pull the lines off and direct them in a pan with some hose. Have a buddy start the car for a quick second or two. Watch the flow.
It should shoot out pretty fast. Be carfull.
I know on the late model Mopars it only pumps through the cooler in gear.
Did alot of trans flushes when I was still at the repair shops.

A line pressure test will tell you if the pump is working properly. If it's shifting good, it's probably ok. Torqueflites don't pump much (if any) fluid through the cooler in Park but it will in any other gear, including neutral.

It should be pumping anytime in gear or even in park. Was it sitting with the front end up in the air for awhile? Could be some drain back.
To check your flow pull the lines off and direct them in a pan with some hose. Have a buddy start the car for a quick second or two. Watch the flow.
It should shoot out pretty fast. Be carfull.
I know on the late model Mopars it only pumps through the cooler in gear.
Did alot of trans flushes when I was still at the repair shops.

Should be pumping hard in everything but park.

15 to 30. but not in park. TF front pump, due to old cable valve body (which they never changed), front pump nada in park.

If it works right and shifts good the pump must be good. And as mentioned they don't pump in park plus the cooler return line is free to drain back when sitting so if it's been shut off for a while it won't have much in the cooler.

oK - Snaps my neck when i get on it . Tires chirp in 3rd- Removed my external trans cooler and connected lines up to the AL radiator fittings Loosened a fitting in Nuetral and had trans fliud spray out.
I was nervous when I removed the external cooler and it was pretty dry. Fluid must have ran back to the trans. I am going to add a Temp gauge for the trans. The guy that dies with the most gauges WINS!!! right????
Thanks for your help

oK - Snaps my neck when i get on it . Tires chirp in 3rd- Removed my external trans cooler and connected lines up to the AL radiator fittings Loosened a fitting in Nuetral and had trans fliud spray out.
I was nervous when I removed the external cooler and it was pretty dry. Fluid must have ran back to the trans. I am going to add a Temp gauge for the trans. The guy that dies with the most gauges WINS!!! right????
Thanks for your help
Only if all the gauges read "empty" :)

-
Back