727 question

-
the thrushwashers are all new , fiber washers are all new . the only thing i can think of is that this was a lockup tranny and i swappped in the input shaft for a nonlockup one . the the bushing between the input and the output shafts on the lockup shaft had the tree eared bushing with a shim . could the output shaft be a tad shorter?

The 3 tabbed washer might be a different thickness. Haven't measured one so I'm not positive but I'm getting ready to go out and get the thrust washers ready to mail to you and I'll measure the 3 tab washer and post back what it is. If your input shaft was designed for a 3 tab washer that's what you should use. I'll also look in my books and see if I see any reference as to the 3 tab washer using another shim behind it. All car output shafts are the same length. Only h.d. or 4x4 trucks were different.

A note on the converter. There are shops that cut and rebuild them. They should be able to cut the nose off and weld a new one on a lot cheaper than buying a new one. I would have it rebuilt and let them know the change you made. Lock up and non lock up converters are different.

final assembly with friction plates soaked, pump housing torqued down and .064 and .105 no shim between the input and output i have 1/32 converts to .031 clearence i would say i'm good to go.

the stator supports on the pumps differ between the lock - up and non lock - up trannys, so you should switch the pumps. check to see if your front clutch hub has 2 or three sealing rings as well some years differ.

Ok. Definetly use 15 springs then and don't go crazy drilling out the hole in the spacer plate that's for the 2-3 shift if your using a kit like a Trans-go that has you drill out the spacer plate. Otherwise you may have shift overlap. I can understand not wanting to trash the converter but by the looks of it there may be a sealing problem and/or problem where the bushing isn't tight and lets the converter walk around. If it were me I'd send it back to the mfg. and see if they can replace the snout and flush it. That'd be a lot cheaper than buying a new converter and will ensure you don't put it in and trash your new transmission.

BTW: if you do a torqueflite again don't use the 5.0 lever. It is designed for the wider/stiffer solid front band that a Hemi trans. uses and is a little too stout for the narrower std. band. It works but sometimes you get shift overlap. Generally if you use 15 springs and don't go crazy drilling the transfer plate your ok but even some will overlap when you've done that. I quit using the 5.0 levers because of that. Now I only use a 4.2 lever and the 2-3 shift is always crisp yet smooth. Just my findings.

So just to clarify, it's ok to use the 5.0 lever with the good wide band? I had never heard that before, but it kinda makes sense.

i used the inputshaft, pump housing, reaction shaft, and valvebody off the nonlockup tranny. i'm going to use the 5.0 and see how it works out. if not i'll go to 4.2. the clutch hub has 2 sealing rings. lockup's have 2 on the hub and one on the inputshaft base.

So just to clarify, it's ok to use the 5.0 lever with the good wide band? I had never heard that before, but it kinda makes sense.

To be perfectly honest that's just my opinion. I figure since the wide band is stiffer it takes more to compress it so that's why the factory used the 5.0 lever on only the Hemi trans. which is the only trans. to use the wide band.

To be perfectly honest that's just my opinion. I figure since the wide band is stiffer it takes more to compress it so that's why the factory used the 5.0 lever on only the Hemi trans. which is the only trans. to use the wide band.

Makes sense. Thanks. I had planned on the wide bands anyway. I always do. Even on slant sixes.

You can use the wide band on a standard width drum? I haven't tried but figured since it's 1/2" wider it would be too wide. Does it overlap the front of the drum any?

Not that I know of. I always change the drum out, too. Here, check this site out. Awesome prices. https://www.wittrans.com/default.aspx

Ok. I didn't think it'd work right but wasn't sure on what you were saying. I'll check them out this eve. Gotta run right now. Thanks

Ok. Let me know what you think. They sell a five disc direct drum for the 727 for like 58 bucks. I can't find one elsewhere for under 300.

Ok. Let me know what you think. They sell a five disc direct drum for the 727 for like 58 bucks. I can't find one elsewhere for under 300.

Wow!! Them are some screamin prices on parts. I didn't look at a lot but what I did was cheaper than any I've ever seen anywhere else. I see they have a bunch of selective snap rings. I'm low and have had some trouble finding them lately. Gonna have to order a selection of them. Have you ordered from them to know how their service is?

Sorry to get off track 73-340.

Wow!! Them are some screamin prices on parts. I didn't look at a lot but what I did was cheaper than any I've ever seen anywhere else. I see they have a bunch of selective snap rings. I'm low and have had some trouble finding them lately. Gonna have to order a selection of them. Have you ordered from them to know how their service is?

Sorry to get off track 73-340.

Not yet...but they look like a professional outfit. yeah sorry... back on track now. LOL

-
Back